The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really looking into getting a r/o unit because my water is really hard and my Ph is pretty high out of the faucet. I am not at all sure what the gh and ph of r/o water is. What would I use to bring up the gh, ph, and possibly the kh if needed using just r/o water? Until I get this unit I bought some water from the store to mix with my faucet water to bring down the ph, and gh. Is it okay to buy water that is marked "drinking water" or just use distilled water? I already used 9 gallons of the drinking water so I want to make sure it is safe. I looked at both the distilled water and the drinking water and it said the same thing on the label. It said processed by carbon filteration, reverse osmosis, uv treatment, microfiteration, ozonation. Is this okay? Using 9 GL of drinking water with 9 gallons of faucet water only brought my ph down .5. It went from 8.0 to 7.5. The gh went from 8 to 4.
Any information you can give would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
The main reason I use RO water is to lower TDS, you can get TDS close to zero with a RO unit. Why do you need to lower PH? My PH out of the RO barrel is 7, TDS is 10. I do not measure GH or KH anymore.......DC

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main reason I use RO water is to lower TDS, you can get TDS close to zero with a RO unit. Why do you need to lower PH? My PH out of the RO barrel is 7, TDS is 10. I do not measure GH or KH anymore.......DC
I am going to be getting some CRS and was told by many people that they do better in soft water and a ph around 6.7. This is one reason I was thinking of getting a r/o unit.

What is TDS? I'm drawing a blank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts