The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have approx. 20(maybe more) 12-14"stems of Rotala Magenta for trade. Make an offer. The stems are a little leggy at the bottom due to crowding but can be cut in half and make a very large stand. The water is cloudy due to rearranging this PM. I can also throw in 3-4 pcs. of L. Cadinalis for a good trade. I have bronze crypt, java fern, blyxa, Elatine, Blue Hygro R. Magenta. The pics are of the type you'd get, My tank is 20" tall for reference.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
yea, that's rotala rotundfolia sp. green. not rotala macrandra.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope

It was next to regular R. in the tank at my lfs(Aquatic Criter....extremely respect and largest in Nashville). It's definately not. I just have let it get too leggy and not dosed enough Iron. I had some issues with dosing too much when I started pressurized CO2 a couple months ago...lost 3 of my favorite fish as a result. I've been gunshy of overdose since. I'll try to send some pics of it in my 20g tank where it shows the larger leaf and color of what it looks like when not over crowded. This stuff grows so quickly I've had a hard time keeping it properly trimmed. Thanks for the shot though mrbelvedere....and no dane, you're wrong,, and where did you get R. Macrandra from, I've owned red macrandra and wouldn't think of trying to pass this of as that and didn't mention R. Macrandra. Not defensive here, just trying to correct two misconceptions. I agree it looks in the pic like regular Rotala. Again, I'll post pics in the AM(as my 5yr old daughter is asleep in the room w/ the 20 gal) that has what it looks like when grown under better conditions. Frankly never bought regular Rotala as it is too boring for me. Thanks, Ben

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
i got rotala macrandra, because that is the scientific name. NOT rotala "magenta". that is a name commonly used and incorrect. as far as the plant, i seriously doubt it is a sickly "magenta" as you call it. the leaf shape is not that of rotala macrandra. it's too narrow, and the nodes are too far apart. if you really believe that what you have is a green rotala macrandra, you need to step back and do a little more research about different species of plants.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I'm not botanist like you dane...just a lowly microbiologist. When I bought this plant it was a nice pink-red...not the lousy green of regular rotala(and as admitted ....like you see) I also grew and sold R. macradra "Red" for several mo. I know the dif. sorry if your LFS has never had somethig in between but it does not mean it doesn't exist. If you need a lesson on what happens to plants that don't have enough light, I'll show pics tomorrow of azalea's(those are land grown plants) and what happens to them when they are grown in sub standard conditions. Hope you hav a blessed night. Ben

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hey, the plant is definitely not Rotala sp. 'Green', as danepatrick suggested. Rotala sp. 'Green' will not turn a shade of red, as the plant pictured has at the crown. However, from the pictures, I don't think the plant is Rotala sp. 'Magenta' either. Rotala sp. 'Magenta' (not talking about Rotala macranda), has thinner, sharper-looking leaves than the plant pictured.

vollphann, does your plant have three leaves at each node near the top? If it does, your plant might actually be Rotala sp. 'Pink'. Otherwise, it very well might be Rotala rotundifolia, since rotundifolia turns a very beautiful hue of red when given enough light (as the crowns of your stems have doubtless have had).

Just trying to give as much of an objective say as I can. In any case, most Rotalas are great plants to use when starting up a tank, so someone new to the hobby should jump on this!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks erijnal

Sorry I got so defensive but I've noticed some people on this board like to butt in and give bad info and get very rude sometimes. If someone has an interest in a plant offering and wants to ask questions, great, but if all you want to do is criticize and contradict, please keep your hands in your pockets and off the keyboard. Anyway, here are pics of the plant in my 5g near the surface where they get enough light. As you can see, they do have a pink/magenta color. It usually only takes a week or two for the stems to color up when I transplant from my 20"Tall 42g tank to my much shorter 20L or 5g. Again, if anyone would like these let me know.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/vollphann/aquarium319011.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/vollphann/aquarium319010.jpg

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you're welcome Finchman. Hope they grow well for you. Again, I know the Rotala is leggy at the moment, but give them some room and a couple weeks and they should look great. The good news is that if you do cut the stems in half the bottom halves have so much root to them they should sprout nice new growth, at least that's how I eneded up w/so much of the stuff. Thanks for the kind words. Ben

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
no, that's not what i meant at all. what i meant was rotala rotundfolia 'green'. not rotala 'green', which i DID NOT even say. not rotala macrandra 'green'. all that had to be done was to read my original post thoroughly. nuff said.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
no, that's not what i meant at all. what i meant was rotala rotundfolia 'green'. not rotala 'green', which i DID NOT even say. not rotala macrandra 'green'. all that had to be done was to read my original post thoroughly. nuff said.
Sorry I must have misread. My mistake.

·
Registered
408 Posts
danepatrick, I am only posting this for you, since you were the one who suggested vollphann research his material, but if you meant Rotala rotundifolia 'Green', then you have been inadvertantly referring to Rotala sp. 'Green', not another plant

This line comes straight out of APC's PlantFinder:

"Known in the hobby as both Rotala rotundifolia 'Green' and Rotala sp. 'Green'"

Granted, the PlantFinder mentions that the taxonomic status is somewhat unclear, but if I was going by your original post, my assumption that you were referring to Rotala sp. 'Green,' and my consequent correction of your ID can only be understandable. In any case, I tried to correct you as tactfully as I could, and I apologize if it didn't seem that way

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
i am trying not to argue continuously, but i am just trying to make myself clear. i was unaware that rotala rotundfolia 'green' was also rotala sp. 'green'. i have no problem admitting i was unaware of that. however, i nowhere said that it wasn't rotala sp. 'green'. i repeated in my last post that i never said rotala sp. green. so what i am trying to conclude is that we agree on what i was referring to. however, if plantfinder is right, then your first post
Hey, the plant is definitely not Rotala sp. 'Green', as danepatrick suggested. Rotala sp. 'Green' will not turn a shade of red, as the plant pictured has at the crown. However, from the pictures, I don't think the plant is Rotala sp. 'Magenta' either. Rotala sp. 'Magenta' (not talking about Rotala macranda), has thinner, sharper-looking leaves than the plant pictured.

vollphann, does your plant have three leaves at each node near the top? If it does, your plant might actually be Rotala sp. 'Pink'. Otherwise, it very well might be Rotala rotundifolia, since rotundifolia turns a very beautiful hue of red when given enough light (as the crowns of your stems have doubtless have had)
is wrong because you are referring to rotala rotundfolia and rotala sp. 'green' as two different plants. i have rotala rotundfolia 'green' in my tank and it get's very pink as it approaches the surface. seeing that it is the same plant as rotala sp. 'green', then it too would get pink as it approaches the surface. regardless, i think we were both unaware that rotala rotundfolia sp. 'green' and rotala sp. 'green' were the same plant. correct? :icon_neut

·
Registered
408 Posts
danepatrick, you might have received a plant that was IDed incorrectly. I also was sent some plants labeled as Rotala sp. 'Green', but it turned out to actually be Rotala rotundifolia. The difference in behavior of the two plants is somewhat noticeable in the fact that Rotala sp. 'Green' loves to grow diagonally, whereas Rotala rotundifolia will willingly grow right to the surface. That's why I said the plant couldn't have been Rotala sp. 'Green' since it turned a shade of red. I have had uprooted plants of Rotala sp. 'Green' float right at the surface and the new growth still did not show any sign of reddening as Rotala rotundifolia or Rotala sp. 'Pink' would have done.

I think I remember reading that Rotala sp. 'Green' may be very closely related to Rotala rotundifolia, or may even be a strain of it, but even that small difference results in two different plants, just like how there are Broad-leaf and Narrow-leaf variations on certain plants. Also, another point that makes me guess that your plant is not Rotala sp. 'Green' is that it'd be very easy to mis-label any green Rotala plant as Rotala sp. 'Green' if it hasn't received enough lighting in a previous set-up to show it's true colors.

Anyway, how about we leave it at that on this thread? Maybe we can start up a new discussion in the Plants sub-forum of TPT =]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Lots and lots of plants arrived today :icon_smil
They all look nice!
You are such a kind person, Ben.
Thank you so much for everything.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let's burry hatchet

To those who look at this,danepatrick esp., let's let this goofy argument go, please. I apologise dane for allowing my temper to get the better of me. I am a true, old'fashioned southerner. I felt I was being accused of misrepresenting my FREE(shipping/trade offer). I posted pics so people could see what they would get. I simply advertised it as what it was sold to me as. I'm not sure what else I could do. I have seen several people get ripped in our community for honest mistakes and at that late hour, I'd had enough and let my ire get the better of me. Dane, I appologize. I can do no more than that. let's now let this silly thread die in peace. -Ben

1 - 20 of 20 Posts