The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently setting up a 240 gallon planted tank (96x24x24) with a built in wet dry filter in the back (clear for life uniquarium) I am looking for input on how many GPH i should use for the return pump(s). The tank is set up with 3 return nozzles so I could have as many as 3 pumps. The tank will be a med-high light co2 injected tank (co2 diffusers under the bio-balls and 4-6 54watt t5 ho tek style retrofit lamps) I am looking for answers specifically to the return pump question but also any thoughts ideas concerns regarding any aspect of the set up. The tank will have a relatively small bio load to its size, shrimp and some small schooling fish (open to input on this too) and will be set up with a substrate that is a mix of MTS, humus, worm castings, capped by a high CEC (eco).

·
Registered
297 Posts
Will that be your only form of water flow? Or will you be adding power heads? Are you going for higher flow tank or lower flow?

I used to run a mag 9.5 on 1-1/4" PVC with about 10' of head and had a lot of flow, but this was for a reef tank so the high flow was ok. Cant remember exactly what the GPH was, been a couple years since I took it down. But Reefcentral.com has a great calculator to use for this stuff. Itll help you calculate the flow with whatever size pump, PVC and head pressure you have.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The key to pump size is that you don't want to use a pump that is way too large or small. With three returns you can use one large pump or three smaller ones. With a single pump, you use valves to control the return flow. My personal preference is for the single larger pump. I also prefer externally mounted pumps, such as Iwaki, but they tend to cost more and if not mounted properly, make more noise.

You also need to consider the overflows. They can only handle so much, no matter how big the pump is. A single, typical, overflow is good for about 600 gph.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So then considering the 2 overflows I have an outside limit of 1200 gph. I have some experience with this tank and know that it is relatively hard to flood (small recess cut above the different sections of the filter) the pumps that I have laying around are as follows quiteone 4000 HH (980 gph)quiteone 3000(780 gph) 2 rio 2500 (748 gph) rio 1700 (642 gph) rio 2100 (692 gph) I am open to any suggestions using those pumps or others

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.