The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ~90g planted tank. I am currently using an EcoPlus 1584 return pump but it is very loud.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a very quiet return pump

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Your best choice for a silent pump is one of the DC controllable pumps. Here is one example, but there are other excellent similar pumps - Reef Octopus VarioS Controllable DC Circulation Pump

You will also find that then consume a lot less power, and are a lot more "silent running" compared to most other pumps. The downside is that DC controllable pumps are a lot more expensive, but that may be worth it if the pump is in a bed roomm or TV room.

In addition, it's very important how you mount your pump. Correct mounting can go a long way to keeping even the existing pump silent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How does the Sicce Syncra compare to a Jebao DCT-6000?

Bump:
Your best choice for a silent pump is one of the DC controllable pumps.
Thanks, I've been looking at getting a Jebao DCT-6000. The price isn't really an issue as long as it doesn't die on me in under 2 years.

In addition, it's very important how you mount your pump. Correct mounting can go a long way to keeping even the existing pump silent.
What is the correct way to mount a pump? I have mine just resting on an anti-vibration pad. It doesn't touch anything else.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
How does the Sicce Syncra compare to a Jebao DCT-6000?

Bump:

Thanks, I've been looking at getting a Jebao DCT-6000. The price isn't really an issue as long as it doesn't die on me in under 2 years.

What is the correct way to mount a pump? I have mine just resting on an anti-vibration pad. It doesn't touch anything else.

The Sicce isn't a terrible pump, but it's not in the same class as the Jebao, especially as far as noise goes.

One thing you'll notice about DC controllable pumps is that they all look very much alike. This is because it comes down to one or two companies in china making all of them. The one exception are the Royal Exclusiv Red Dragon pumps, which are made in Germany, but are out of sight expensive. Here is an example of one (offsite) - https://premiumaquatics.com/products/red-dragon-3-mini-speedy-50w-dc-pump.html

Putting a pump on an anti vibration pad is a good way of mounting a pump. A better way is to suspend the pump from above using nylon string or heavy fishing line. That way the pump doesn't touch anything. However, I have never had to do this with a DC controllable pump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. I went ahead and ordered the Jebao DCT-6000. I'll report back here when I get it set up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Please keep us posted on the pump from day 1 and over time. The reviews seem pretty good on Amazon, but much more mixed on Reef Cental.

·
Registered
496 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
I read a lot of scary reviews about the Jebaos (I read that they're rebranded 1st gen Waveline DC pumps). I'd rather get a 2nd gen Waveline before I get a Jebao. I'm waiting for the Neptune Cor to come out.

https://reefbuilders.com/2015/09/04/neptune-systems-cor-pump/
Jebao has four generations of pumps now. The original DC series I believe might have been a rebranded model but the following three generations seem to have gotten progressively better. When reading reviews make sure you check if they are taking about the DC, DCT, DCS, or DCP series.

Thanks,
Harry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts