The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I would like to set up a planted aquarium. I have a 55 gallon tank, 48" long.

I've looked at various compact fluorescent lighting systems, and I'm concerned about the fact that they need fans to cool them down. I have very sensitive hearing and the buzz of my relatively quite computer fan irritates me. Can anyone recommend a compact fluorescent lighting system based on how quiet it is?

An option that I'm looking at is the Coralife T-5 Aqualight. I figure that I could put two of them on my aquarium, which would give me 112 watts. It seems that T-5s don't generate as much heat as compact florescents and so do not need fans.

I appreciate all suggestions.

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
i had that same setup on my 55. two of the coralife 48" t5 fixtures. the filters made more noise then they do.

i have a 30" one next me right now on my 20L and it never makes a sound.

*Here, we'll throw a picture in for good measure.**

·
Registered
974 Posts
T5 systems would be quieter for sure. You need to figure out what type of setup you would like - a low light system? the coralife fixtures should be fine for that. If you want a high light-injected CO2 system I would check out the Tek fixtures (don't think they have fans in them but don't quote me on that).

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I can appreciate your concern.
the fan on my PC makes me nuts,
and it's supposed to be quietcool.

your proposed 2wpg using T5's is
fine as long as you plan on going
with low to moderate light plants.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/low-tech-forum/

I had two 2x18w T5's over my 30gal
which worked very well for a year.
(then I upgraded to PC 2x65 w/fan)
now I can grow a wider range of plants.

I suggest you get one 6700k/Colormax
and one 10000k/Actinic, then replace
the Blue bulb with another 10000k.
This will give you a wonderful mix of
light to display your plants and fish.

you may want to order another set of
4 bulbs since shipping 48" bulbs can cost
more than the mail order pricing is worth,
and T5's lose a third of their brightness
before the first year is up.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'd suggest the 4x55w Tek. I can grow most plants in my 55 with two 55w but wish I went for the four bulb system adding the ability for a mid day blast of energy. Main thing is keeping it flexible and decide if your into low to mid light or high light plants.

If a hanging fixture is not your plans there are T5 retrofit kits available with good reflectors for attaching in a canopy.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
The 4" fan I have in my canopy is almost completely silent. You can't hear it if you sit 3' away. I got it at an electronics supply house, not a computer store. At $45.00 it wasn't as cheap as most "quiet" computer fans, but I knew going in that it wouldn't be acceptable in the living room if it was even slightly noticeable. Sorry I don't remember the brand off hand. I'll see if it has any labels when I get home.

Tommy

·
Registered
252 Posts
these coralife t-5s are nice, i just got two of them about 3 or so months ago, just great nice and quiet. the fact that their so slim is a good thing,you can have a couple and stagger your light patterns off a timers...i grow moderate to low light species and im pleased.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My solution

Thanks for your help, everyone. I decided to go with one 48" Aqualight 2x28from Web Aquatics and one Satellite 48" 2x65 from Tri-city Opticals. There's no fan on the Satellite. I think this will provide plenty of light for a moderate light tank without those annoying fans.

-JMH

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Thanks for your help, everyone. I decided to go with one 48" Aqualight 2x28from Web Aquatics and one Satellite 48" 2x65 from Tri-city Opticals. There's no fan on the Satellite. I think this will provide plenty of light for a moderate light tank without those annoying fans.

-JMH
How much was that total? For $250 you could get a great Tek 4x54w fixture which would be more efficient than the Satellite fixture (which is PC, not T5) for sure. The Tek reflectors are also more efficient than the Aqualight T5NO setup you're going for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
not Coralife CF

You really don't want a Coralife then. My CF 48" 4x65 is really loud. T-8 as others have said are probably the way to go.

In anycase I would still stay away from coralife aka energy savers unlimited. Everyone just flogs them in stores (I supose they have the best mark up).

·
Registered
1,507 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
For bigger tanks LED grow lights make so much sense. Imagine a 300g, 3wx300g= 900watts. For the same tank by using LED? may be 50watts. A net saving of 850Watts x 10 hours/day x 30 days/month = 255,000 watts/month or 255KW/month.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yeah but at this point the initial cost is out of reach for most. I look forward for this technology to drop in price but were not there yet.

It's going to be some time before Large tanks can use these. Notice these are fixtures set up for small tanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.