The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 45 gallon I added a Marineland Emporer 280 to this weekend. Good heavens its a noisy unit.

Anyone know of a good HOB thats quiet? I had a Whisper 5 years ago that was as silent as my canister.

chaz

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
still cant go wrong with whispers. the aquaclear ones are pretty quiet as well.

from what i remember the 290s arent that loud. check to make sure there isnt anything in the impeller.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have an Emperor 400 and is very quiet,the trick with these filters is to lift /push the intake tube until is stops making noise ,if it dosen't ,then the impeller is not good.

·
Registered
722 Posts
aquaclears are pretty quiet

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How quiet compared so a canister? (not trying to really compare, but this emporer is really noisy). My old whisper 5 was silent.

·
Registered
722 Posts
i think my aquaclear is very quiet... i only hear it "running" when my water level gets low and the water splashes a little...
i would have no trouble sleeping next to it if it was in my bedroom

·
Registered
100 Posts
I wish I had know that the Emperor 280 is noisy - I had just gotten one. I already have an Aquaclear 50 and I love how quiet it is.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I think each unit and each person's experience is different. I've seen this AC vs. Emperor debate on every fish forum I frequent. The overall conclusion I draw is that the quality control of HOB's are terrible, so that getting a quiet one vs. a loud one is a hit and miss affair. I happen to have had an AC mini, AC500, and currently am using a Penguin 100. The AC mini was silent, and so is the Penguin. The AC500 made a terrible racket almost 24 hours a day. The lid rattled, the impeller clacked, and I couldn't get rid of the splash because it was on a 125 gallon where the rim was too thick. Anyway, I think the only way to ensure you get a quiet one is to get one and return it if it's loud and try another....or get a canister.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
I have at least one of every aquaclear currently on the market and I would have to say they are pretty quiet. However, that being said they can get quite noisy in a few ways;

The lids to the filters can rattle, with even the slightest vibration in the filter (this is why I remove the lids)

If the impeller well gets grungy the impeller will rattle (so clean it regularly)

The "waterfall" sound can be annoying if your water level is even the slightest bit low. (so keep your tank topped up)

Even with these issues I would still recomend them. If anything, just because of the ease of use, good sized housing for media (you really can put anything in them), and low maintenance cost.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have had an AC 500/AC 110 on my 55G discus tank for awhile, an I cant hear anything at all from it. I had the emporer 400 with the 2 bio wheels, an it just made noise all the time. I dropped it for an XP3...No noise at all. Plus the fact I wanted to c02 an didn't want to worry about off gassing.

Have you considered canister filters at all?

·
Registered
449 Posts
The lids to the filters can rattle, with even the slightest vibration in the filter (this is why I remove the lids)

Even with these issues I would still recomend them. If anything, just because of the ease of use, good sized housing for media (you really can put anything in them), and low maintenance cost.
DITTO - this is exactly what I do too!

Double ditto, I love how easy they are to clean. No need to purchase special cartridges as the sponges are reusable. I cut poly quilt batting to size and place between the two sponges I use to act as a finer filter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i bought a new aquaclear 70, and....

its loud as hell! i agree taking off the lid helps , but i can't believe now loud it is, i was trying to stay away from the bio wheel thing with marine land because of how it loooks like it would just make alot of noise! it just looks that way, a pin wheel spinning like an old freaking mississppi paddle boat!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I bought 2 AquaClear 70 HOBs about an hour ago to complement my Rena canisters. I was getting tired of my old noisy "too big" Emperors and Aqueons.
This is funny.......2 threads on the same subject on the same day.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/117415-quiet-hob.html
Well, this thread was created back in 2007...

I've found my AQ50 (old model) and AQ20 to be very quiet. Silent unless I'm within a two feet radius.

Sometimes the lids rattle after I clean the filter, but that's an easy fix.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts