The Planted Tank Forum banner

Quick start up question (not your typical question:)

714 3
Hello all.. I am new to the forum but not new to Aquariums.. just PLANTED ones .. so I guess Im new in a way..

Anyway, here is my dumb question.. Over the weekend I purchased a new set up.. 75 gallons.. got my substrate/sand base all put in and the tank filled. Set up the filter and BOOM.. at the last minute realized that a piece was missing from my Canister Filter.

It's the quick release valve part on the top of a Filstar XP L.. can't hook up and start the filter with out it.

So.. I am trying to get back to the store to get them to replace the part..
here are my questions

1. Is it ok to let the water and substrate sit with out a filter for a couple of days? No fish, haven't begun cycling.. Just want to make sure it's ok with the substrate/sand bottom (Im used to just plain old gravel)

2. I do not have the light hooked up yet.. so I want to assume I am safe from Algae blooms..(very little if any direct sunlight)

3. The media for my filter has been sitting in the filter until I can get the piece I need.. and I had already rinsed the carbon.. I also assume the carbon will be fine, no need to get new..

That is all.. I am sorry if these are dumb questions.. Im just a bit paranoid about messing up at the get go.. :(
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
It will be fine sitting without a filter for a day or two. And welcome to the forum. There is no such thing as a stupid question. Nobody has all the answers so ask away.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool thanks guys...I'm sure I'll have plenty more

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.