The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Triple Q's in the title lol...:thumbsup:

Generally when I get plants in I check them over and pick anything off that I see which is easier said than done depending on what you have. I know there are all sorts of dips you can use, traps, and well.. it's a lot to take in as everyone has a different way to do things.

Is there something you can just easily add to tap water to kill off snails and worms? I read somewhere that depending on what your PH is that tap water itself may do it but I have no idea...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, I have quite a bit of moss to pick through. I've got about 4-6 pieces of small plants I got in shrimp shipments and kept because I liked. Then I have a few from the LPS, and then there's the moss.

I had the infected stuff in my quarantine tank, but decided to redo it a few hours ago and use it for an actual habitat as I just picked up a 3 gallon bowl this morning I'll use for quarantine. Just want to make sure the snails and worm(s) are gone before getting it in the big tank. I know they won't hurt anything, but I'm a stickler for a clean shrimp only tank :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
I use a potassium permanganate dip to kill snails. Just enough to turn the water a medium dark fuchsia color, which isn't very much. I keep them in there 20 minutes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It takes patience, but picking out individual strands of mosses for growth in individual containers (pickle jars) works well.
Patience is the key word lol. I ended up "trying" to go through it strand by strand but there was just to much of it. I've gotten most of them I think. I've not seen any worms and only 2 baby snails which i promptly scooped and sent into the exile tank..

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
flubendazole kills both snails and worms, levaisole hcl kills the few worms and parasites flu doesn't and both are harmless to plants

I get mine here
http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts