The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at petsmart now and have been agonizing over deciding btwn the ecco 2236 and rena xp3. Had good advice earlier on eheim classic 2217 as the way to go buy they don't have it so that's out otherwise that was my top choice. Getting eheim ecco 2236 for $129 or Rena xp3 for 105. Which would you pick?

Thanks! And excuse any errors bc as I said at store now and posting from phone.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey that's what I was thinking. Plus the 25 dollars I'd save can get me an unlined heater. It's a 46G bowfront.

The eheim has 185gph but the Rena with media has 187 (not the 300 or something Rena quotes which is without media). I'm leaning twds eheim but the Rena + heater for same price is tempting. Gonna pull the trigger in a few so hopefully more comments. Anyone love the Rena? bc I am leaning eheim bc they get do much love on these boards.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The ecco's dont get nearly as much love as the classics. The ecco's handle has been known to break and they generally get less positive reviews than the classics. On the other hand, the rena's are reportedly a little louder.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If you don't mind it a little louder the XP3 would fit a 46 better I would think.

I have a 2236 on my 55 but I wouldn't run it alone... it shares it's duties with a 2026!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so I bought the Ecco because I felt like I valued the noise + the positive reviews over the cost savings with the Rena. BUT I haven't opened it so if I find a compelling reason to get the Rena I will swap it tmrw. Oh and I meant the XP2 because the XP3 is a bit more than the Ecco ($160 was the best price I could find so the total discounted price I'd get is $136) Here's how the pricing works out:

Rena XP2: $159 (original) - $54 (price match) - ~$15 (coupon) = $90
Rena XP3: $189 - (original) - $30 (PM, couldn't find better price) - $24 (coupon) = $136
Eheim Ecco 2236: $159 (original) - $30 (PM) - ~$20 =$110

Also the Eheim does come with all the media and since I'm comparing to the XP2, the flow seems comparable or better(I don't want to spend $136 on the XP3 b/c I've still gotta buy a CO2 setup and an in-line heater and will soon be broke at this rate!). Also I like the silence that the Eheims are known for as this will be in my living room.

FrostyNYC - I've heard that they listened to the feedback and redid the handles last year so I'm not sure if the handle breaking is still an issue.

Mott - that's true, I have a HOB Aquaclear 70 that came with the tank that I will probably leave on and run as secondary filter if I feel the flow is low, but tbqh it will be a shrimp + small fish tank (CPDs) and I don't expect to super-densely plant it out, so I don't want flow too high and blowing my fish all over the tank; so I may just run the Eheim alone unless I was really encountering flow problems.

----

So, did I make the right choice or am I missing something compelling about the XP2 or the XP3 (or a Fluval or something)?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You are right the 2236 was redesigned which used to be a 2235 I believe.
You shouldn't be able to break the handle unless you drop it or something bad, I have primed the handle vigorously a few times and it feels pretty sturdy.

If you aren't injecting co2 the AC and the 2236 should do just fine IMO.
A powerhead would do the trick also.

I think you made a good choice compared to the xp2 , it's super silent and you should get a few months between service.
The one thing about my proII that I love is I usually go six or so months in between cleaning on my heavily planted tank. I only get about 3 months with the 2236.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi mott,

Sorry if this is obvious but why does CO2 injection make the 2236 inadequate? Is it because the additional line-in component decreases the flow, or something else?

Also since I'm new to the canister world, having used only HOBs to date, is cleaning the 2236 difficult? On my HOB I only had a biological filter (filter floss / foam) and I would only rinse out the media in tank water about 1x/month with no problems so I'm curious if the quarterly maintenance you mentioned is significant, or if it's something similarly simple. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Co2 and the AC will not get along because of the surface agitation, you will still be able to use the AC with Co2 but you will need more bps.
Actually if you keep the tank water topped off surface agitation and off gassing of Co2 should be significantly reduced.

The 2236 comes with the Sheppard's crook output and can be below the water line so no problem there...This is why most peeps who inject Co2 use canisters.

Cleaning is easy with the 2236, just pull the baskets out, rinse the substrat pro in tank water, rinse the sponge in tap water (you'll have plenty of bio) then replace the fine floss.

Btw regular old filter floss is fine no need to buy the expensive "Ehfisynth"

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mott thanks for all the info. One more question - I eventually want to move towards using an in-line heater (thinking Hydor or Rena Smartfilter, but leaning twds Hydor since it gets it out of the tank) and pushing CO2 in-line as well; do you think that the pressure/flow dropoff would be significant enough that the 2236 would be inadequate for flow once I do this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have an XP3. Its just a good, solid filter. Nothing fancy, not particularly elegant. It just works. It does humm a little, so if noise bothers you at all be aware. In my study its fine, but if it was in a bedroom, or in a faimliy room competing with the TV late at night at low volume I would want someting quieter. YMMV.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I've been reading and I think I'll stick with the 2236. I prefer the quiet and I don't want to mess with trying to get a similar deal online since I find the price I paid reasonable for the 2236.

Also, In-line heater shouldn't reduce flow at all since all it is is an in-line connection with no baffling or anything impeding the flow of water (that's re: Hydor, not sure on the Rena Smartfilter since I haven't seen the way it works).

Once I get to the point of adding the in-line reactor for CO2, if the flow becomes too low I will add a second canister like a 2215 or something which can be had cheaply (like on these boards or the 'bay). Thanks for the suggestions guys!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have both the 2236 and 2217 and love both. The 2236 is absolutely quiet and does the job well for my 40 gallon tank. It's also so easy to maintain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts