The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor just gave me her Fluval Chi nano aquarium. Apparently she had bad luck fishkeeping. She kept a betta in it, he died, and then the aquarium ran for months with only a plant (it appears to be some sort of potted anubias) and some snails.

I washed out the tank and put it in storage. Not sure what I will do with it, probably set up a hospital tank later.

I did save the plant though! It looks moderately healthy, and right now it is sitting in a ziploc bag with some of the old tank water. I want to put it in my tank but I want it to be safe. I read online that a salt dip could render it safe. From what I read I should remove the little plastic basket, remove the stuff packed around the roots, and soak the plant in a solution of 1 part salt 2 parts water.

Does that sound right? That sounds like a LOT of salt to me. In fact I doubt that much salt will even dissolve fully. Should it be hotter water? And last, can I use my API aquarium salt for the dip, or should it be table salt?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Weird that the anubias is potted.. usually when you cover the rhizome, they rot.

You could use a water/hydrogen peroxide bath. But definately take it out of the rockwool basket.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Depends on what you think you are trying to kill.
Look up the dilution and duration of each of these materials!
Snails = Alum
External fish parasites = Salt (sodium chloride)
Algae = Bleach OR Excel OR Hydrogen Peroxide (Never mix products)
Fish diseases = mostly killed off with no host, or a dip in bleach. If you suspect mycobacteriosis then a dip in bleach followed by a dip in rubbing alcohol for equipment. I have no idea if rubbing alcohol is safe for plants this way.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hmm... I'm a bit weary of bleach. I think I'll do a salt / hydrogen peroxide dip, the quarantine it for maybe a week. If it still looks good then it can move into my tank. From what I have read the API aquarium salt does have sodium chloride, so I will use that. Thank you both for your input!

Oh, and I take back what I said earlier. It isnt an anubias, it appears to be an amazon sword plant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.