1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The T5HO light gives you high light intensity, not low. Even one of those bulbs would give you medium intensity. Since you have a riparium-type setup with plants growing above the top of the tank, raising the fixture would reduce the light back to low light, and help light the emergent plants too. But, you would have to raise it at least a foot above the tank, if not more, to reduce the intensity to low light. If you had more above water plants they would shade the below water plants and that would also reduce the intensity.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
PC fixtures, using 65 watt PC bulbs, can vary from those with essentially no reflectors to those with good reflectors. If the reflectors were comparable to AH Supply 55 watt kit reflectors, the 130 watt PC fixture, with the bulbs end to end in one row, would give a little less light than a single T5HO bulb using a typical T5HO highly polished aluminum reflector.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went with the 2x T5HO. I am going to hang them to get more "riparium" feel to the tank. Follow my journal to see progress. Should get the fixture sometime next week. Now I need some DIY ceiling mounting options.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts