The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve built a few stands before, I’m currently building my “biggest” not huge, but it’s tall & I’ve gone for the realistic approach with supports, usually use 2X4 for everything which is overkill but it’s fine, I’ve gone for 2x2 with 6 supports for a 110 litre tank, half filled for turtles, I’m sure it’ll be fine, quick question is which type of wood is best for the top, I can’t remember what I’ve used before!

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
Depends on what you want to spend. Treated and marine grade plywood are expensive. Melamine countertop material looks nice, but if the particle board gets wet it can swell. The tank needs support under the frame (edges/corners), so the top just needs to be something that won't swell or warp if it gets water on it. The upside of having a top, is for leveling if your floor is uneven. I use pine on my small stands for 20 gallons and under, I just stain and varnish it. My large tank stands are just cinder blocks with 2 - 2x4s on top.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on what you want to spend. Treated and marine grade plywood are expensive. Melamine countertop material looks nice, but if the particle board gets wet it can swell. The tank needs support under the frame (edges/corners), so the top just needs to be something that won't swell or warp if it gets water on it. The upside of having a top, is for leveling if your floor is uneven. I use pine on my small stands for 20 gallons and under, I just stain and varnish it. My large tank stands are just cinder blocks with 2 - 2x4s on top.
I really wish I went with cinder blocks and 2x4’s now, seen some really nice ideas with them, maybe next time, I’ve attached a photo below of the stand so far, I’m happy with it so far, it’s strong enough for the tank, I can sit on top & I weigh 95kg and that’s just resting on the the middle.

Tomorrow I have a bit more sanding to do, then I’m going to add some decorating trimmings to go around the corners etc to tidy it up & then I just have to do the top & paint etc.

* ANYTHING ELSE FOR ADDITIONAL SUPPORT OF STRUCTURE WILL BE APPRECIATED *

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wow, that's a sturdy stand! I love seeing these kinds of projects, be sure and show us the end result with tank all set up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, that's a sturdy stand! I love seeing these kinds of projects, be sure and show us the end result with tank all set up.
Stand is all done, need to do a tiny touch up on the paint when I knocked the filter getting it but overall I’m happy with it, much taller which makes much better viewing, I’ve already started a second stand which held this tank.

I’ll be reusing a 15 year old stand that came with my first ever aquarium & making it look similar to this style and it will hold my 30L planted cube.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts