The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got 5 blue rams and have them in a quarantine tank which just gave a reading of under .25 nitrites. They're tank raised but I'm sure still very sensitive to nitrites.

So here's the dilemma. Do I switch them to my main tank right now? I don't have anything in there that I'm more unwilling to lose than the rams so that's not an issue.

The issue is this: The water they came from was 26dKH. The QT is 14dKH. My main tank is 7dKH.

So what gives me my best chance?

Thanks.

·
Registered
741 Posts
just do a large water change. and continue to monitor, so you can do more water changes if you have any more spikes.

also add some media from one of your mature filters to the QT's filter.

you could go buy some of that bacteria in a bottle too. but the media from another tank is going to digest that nitrite the fastest.

you're just having a mini cycle b/c the bio load in the QT has been greatly increased.

cheers-K

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't realize it could spike so quickly....5 hrs. with no food.

I already added filter media and a bit of gravel, plus some Stability. I'll change some more water.

I'm just nervous about rams because of their notorious intolerance for screwups. I don't know how many mini-spikes they can tolerate. :confused:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts