The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just purchase GLA's EI fert kit. I notice the kid includes K2SO4. The instructions I've found from Tom Barr online for non co2 Low tech tanks does not include K2SO4 in the dosing. Only KNO3 and KH2PO4.

Im just wondering why it isn't included. Does the non co2 tank not need it? or is it just simplified?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Many folks find that KNO3 provides enough K on its own. However, there are situations where it is useful.

-If you have a particularly potassium hungry tank, K2SO4 allows you to raise the K without adding more NO3.

-Also, if you are overstocked in fish, you probably already have a lot of NO3, some folks (like me) half-dose KNO3 and use K2SO4 to make up with it. Just make sure you calibrate your test kit before deciding you already have plenty of NO3.. many tests read very high.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yep - I've looked into this too. The dosing guide I was reading when I ordered my ferts didn't include it, so I never ordered any. Like Matt said, a lot of people think you're getting enough K in KNO3 and that the K2SO4 is very situational.

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
Also, while kno3 and kh2po4 may provide enough potassium to satisfy your plants needs, adding more in the form of k2so4 will not cause any issues as long as you perform regular water changes.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Also, while kno3 and kh2po4 may provide enough potassium to satisfy your plants needs, adding more in the form of k2so4 will not cause any issues as long as you perform regular water changes.
Have to ask..... and what if regular WC were NOT done on a weekly basis but say once a month?
Thx U

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts