The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.. tank is finally ready for plants..should be delivered any day now.
Co2 is set up and ready to go..

I want to clean the inside glass.. it appears there is a very fine light film on the glass.. easily wiped off.. just want to ask you how you would clean it?

Use an algae sponge or just use a clean cloth and do it with my arm in the tank?

best practice here?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use one of the magnet cleaners. As my tank progresses i will get a scraper for the green algae spots. A regular dish cleaner pad works too.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use one of the magnet cleaners. As my tank progresses i will get a scraper for the green algae spots. A regular dish cleaner pad works too.
I never used the magnet scrapers.. you endorse them? Maybe I'll check em out..

·
Registered
509 Posts
ihave a magnet scraper and ilike it. does the job at a minimum. but idont have a massive amount of algae on the glass. just small amounts of diatoms and it cleans it right off

·
Registered
304 Posts
Magnet scrapers are great for GDA. I would not use a green scrubby on an aquarium as I have scratched up glass very badly on accident in the past and acrylic is even more prone.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Magnetic cleaners are good, but make sure no debris (gravel/sand) get stuck between it and the glass.

You'll know when it happens :(
Yup. I stopped using magnetic cleaners awhile ago. It's really not a problem with a lot of substrates but I use Florite for awhile and not only is it sharp, it also can be magnetized and will stick to your cleaner. Scratched a few tanks and any time the magnet got too close to the substrate, I just tossed the thing, got expensive.

I am simple, I do everything but the bottom inch with paper towels. I then get the last inch and any stubborn spots with a plastic card, one that is white is preferred to see (CVS card atm).

Another thing is to clean the glass before things build up. Even on tanks that get very little algae on the glass, where I could go a year without any noticeable algae, I still clean weekly to monthly to avoid stubborn spots. The more often you clean, it's easier and goes more quickly. Cleaning before build up makes life easier, so I try to do once a week.

·
Registered
926 Posts
i use magic eraser.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup. I stopped using magnetic cleaners awhile ago. It's really not a problem with a lot of substrates but I use Florite for awhile and not only is it sharp, it also can be magnetized and will stick to your cleaner. Scratched a few tanks and any time the magnet got too close to the substrate, I just tossed the thing, got expensive.

I am simple, I do everything but the bottom inch with paper towels. I then get the last inch and any stubborn spots with a plastic card, one that is white is preferred to see (CVS card atm).

Another thing is to clean the glass before things build up. Even on tanks that get very little algae on the glass, where I could go a year without any noticeable algae, I still clean weekly to monthly to avoid stubborn spots. The more often you clean, it's easier and goes more quickly. Cleaning before build up makes life easier, so I try to do once a week.
I like hype paper towel idea thank you

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I use a single edge razor for glass tanks, handled VERY carefully so it does not dig into the silicone. (I leave a dirty band rather than get next to the silicone).
I do not get good results with magnetic cleaners.
Long handled scrubbers are OK if it is soft debris.

Most of my tanks have Otos or Plecos that pretty much keep things clean.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The best safe thing to use is a library card/ credit card. Just press the side against the glass and most (if not all) algae will come off (such as green spot algae)

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I like hype paper towel idea thank you
Well, it's a super crazy idea, haha. The reason I like it is that there is zero chance of scratching the glass. I have tried various cleaning methods and this one works well, almost everyone has paper towels, and it's easy, assuming your tank isn't large. All the fancy tools are good for larger tanks, don't get me wrong but on small tanks, it seems like they make them harder. On my friend's 90 gallon, he has all sorts of tools that make a lot more sense than my 30 inch tanks and smaller.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was looking at one of those yellow/green kitchen sponges the other day. Says right on the packaging "not for aquarium use". I prefer one of the handled scrapers/scouring pads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts