The Planted Tank Forum banner

What shoaling fish to go with Asian stone catfish?

• Microrasbora (Danio) erythromicron

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Boraras naevus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rasbosoma spilocerca

• Celesticthys margaritatus

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am revamping a planted 10 gal aquarium. It is cycled, has black diamond sand for a substrate and will have Asian stone catfish. I would like advice on a nano-fish that could be kept along side the catfish. I know this might seem overstocked but it is over filtered and heavily planted. I have time to consider options.

The pH is around 7.6 with hard water. The temp will be around 74° F.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would do dario dario (scarlet badis) for sure if you can feed them (very picky-I had some that only ate live food, my easy ones will eat frozen cyclops/baby brine only if it is floating by them in the water current just right. One I trained to eat from a turkey baster-that's it. I researched doing this set up before, but I'm going with a shrimp tank this time (easier to keep my d. dario fed). There are other slightly bigger dario species too. From what I've read it would be a bio-tope type set up-both inhabit same areas in the wild. See on seriouslyfish.com it also recommends danios. Glowlight danios are gorgeous and supposed to stay small-I never kept them-still on my wishlist for another tank.

Hara jerdoni (Asian Stone Catfish) ? Seriously Fish

·
Registered
105 Posts
Pea puffers? They are pretty cool and if you introduce some snails I think they can pick off little ones. They also typically require live food too I think. I had some at one point and it was entertaining watching them blackworms out of a suction cup basket. I don't think they would bother the catfish but not positive. If I had a tank I wasn't going to put shrimp in I think I'd have to have pea puffers again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking about something more like a group of small fish. Maybe Danio erythromicron, Boraras naevus or Rasbosoma spilocerca. Any thoughts on any these?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pea puffers? They are pretty cool and if you introduce some snails I think they can pick off little ones. They also typically require live food too I think. I had some at one point and it was entertaining watching them blackworms out of a suction cup basket. I don't think they would bother the catfish but not positive. If I had a tank I wasn't going to put shrimp in I think I'd have to have pea puffers again.

I've seen pea puffers and stone catfish suggested as tankmates before but the info I've read says the catfish like a much lower temp;
72°F-82°F for the puffers and 64°F to 75°F for the Asian Stone Catfish according to SeriouslyFish

Have you kept them together? I love the look of the catfish and I'm looking into getting a dwarf puffer and would be really happy to have both in one tank but that temp disparity concerns me for long term compatibility.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would ideally like to find a nano-fish that would take the same conditions and that I could keep in a group of 6 or more.

The other advice I would like is a clue as to good suppliers that I could order fish from. I don't have much selection here in western Nebraska so ordering online and shipping is a must. Plus I'd like a chance to find lesser known species.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. What about danio? I just got a new school of Celestial Pearls - beautiful little guys and very social and group of 6 would not crowd your tank. They love the plants too. Infor: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danio_margaritatus my source: Freshwater Fish : School of 12 Celestial Pearl Danios (Celestichthys margaritatus) - 3/4 inch Juveniles - Tank-raised! by Aquatic Arts
Those have been on my mind too, I've just never been sure about the cost, but looking there it seems pretty reasonable.

I might have to take a poll to see what people think about a few of my top options. At this point I'm feeling like I almost have too many options.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I wouldn't recommend Pseudomugil furcatus (forktail rainbows) in a 10 gallon. They are a lot more active than the other Pseudomugil rainbows. So most of the other Pseudomugil species (Gertrudae, Paskai, etc) would be a better match for a 10 gallon. They are very adaptable to a wide range of water parameters.

Do keep in mind that Hara jerdoni very much like high dissolved oxygen levels as that is what they have in nature, so be sure to have plenty of surface agitation. And make sure to have a decent sized group of them as they do like to have conspecifics. 68-70*F would be a little better than 72*F if you can do that depending on the other tank mates (cooler water holds more dissolved oxygen).

Celestial pearl danios could work. They can tolerate cooler temps (down to 68*F) and other water parameters, and they enjoy lots of vegetation as well.
Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Danio) are another alternative (relative of CPD). Don't keep the two species mixed together though as they may hybridize. Either species would be okay in a 10 gallon. Get a minimum of 6 (preferably more females than males or equal ratio).

Dario dario as already mentioned, is a good combo. They coexist with Hara jerdoni in their natural habitat. And so they can handle the same water parameters. Only downside is they are territorial, so I might only recommend 2. 4 may work with a ton of cover, but 2 would be less stressful on the fish.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I was just going to post about the forktails and you beat me to it. Terrible idea. They are insanely active and a little aggressive. I have them in a 20 long. I wouldn't go smaller than that. Something like neons or even cardinals would be a better option. I know you want nano schoolers, but consider 3-4 peacock gudgeons. I love them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I've narrowed my search down to the four species listed in the poll above. I thought a lot about a badis but just wasn't sure since it wouldn't be in large numbers and the feeding could be an issue.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I've compiled the Seriously Fish profiles for all to look at

Asian Stone/Moth Catfish
Hara jerdoni (Asian Stone Catfish) ? Seriously Fish

Emerald Dwarf Rasbora/Danio
Celestichthys erythromicron (Microrasbora erythromicron, Danio erythromicron) ? Seriously Fish

CPD - Celestial Pearl Danio
Celestichthys margaritatus ? Celestial Pearl ?Danio? (Danio margaritatus) ? Seriously Fish

Dwarf Scissortail Rasbora
Rasbosoma spilocerca (Dwarf Scissortail Rasbora) ? Seriously Fish

Strawberry Rasbora
Boraras naevus (Boraras red micros) ? Seriously Fish

Seeing how Dwarf Scissortail Rasboras and Strawberry Rasboras prefer the more acidic range of water, so I think CPD's or Emerald Dwarfs would be better suited for your water.
Between the two, since CPD's are so commonly kept, I might stray toward keeping the less common Emerald Dwarfs (Celestichthys erythromicron) if you have them available to you.

Not sure if you are just going to provide a lot of surface agitation, but gentle current beneath the surface, or if the water circulation below the surface will also be strong.
CPDs and Emerald Dwarfs are naturally from calm water bodies, so they wouldn't like a strong current that much. Just having cooler temp water and a good amount of surface agitation is fine enough to provide higher dissolved oxygen levels that the Asian stone cats like.

If you are just going to use a Hang On Back filter or submersible filter, they might not provide much surface agitation. In that case, a bit cooler temps may be better (68-70*F) to compensate.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My plan at this point is to keep temperatures near 72. There will not be a heavy flow but moderate with a focus on surface agitation. CPDs and Emerald dwarfs were on the top of my list and am trying to figure which way to go and where to get them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.