The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read in an AP story about the AT&T/BellSouth merger that one of the concessions that AT&T gave to the FCC (Geez! Alphabet soup :)!) will be to offer "Naked" DSL to subscribers within their service area. I'm assuming this will also include us. As I understand it this means that hypothetically I could drop the land line, get a couple of "real" cellphones (we use Tracfones currently) and, also hypothetically, reduce our monthly 'phone/internet bill a bit.

Anyone on here do this sort of thing, and have you had any problems with such a setup? My main problem I can see right off would be training the husband figure in using a cellphone ;).

·
Banned
418 Posts
Yep, naked basically means you no longer have to have a POTS line running to your house in order to get DSL. I'm waiting for Verizon now as I'm forced to pay $28 a month for phone server that I have not once plugged in or ever used, but the only way to get DSL is with a phone number so they make money for nothing!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I see a few things on this...

1. Dropping phone service will probably increase the monthly DSL bill. I say this because they'll claim the old price was the "package" price. The plus side is you can switch to DSLExtreme.com and get it cheaper.

2. 911 service won't be as effective unless you use the GPS option with your cell phones. They may still be required to provide 911 capability.

3. You can get Vonage, Skype or other VOIP option. This keeps the home phone like functionality but gives you cheaper rates and you can choose the area code of your favorite relatives, etc, to make it a local call for them.

4. There are kits you can buy that allow you to plug your cell phone in and use it as if it was your house phone. Once plugged in, you use your regular phone through your cell. It's pretty cool.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yep, naked basically means you no longer have to have a POTS line running to your house in order to get DSL. I'm waiting for Verizon now as I'm forced to pay $28 a month for phone server that I have not once plugged in or ever used, but the only way to get DSL is with a phone number so they make money for nothing!
You still need the line. You just don't have to pay for the phone service to get DSL.

If I'm waiting for anything, it's Fiber. There are houses in Japan that have had 100/100 up and down and others that now have Gbps speeds...for less than we'd pay for a true T-1.s

·
Banned
418 Posts
You still need the line. You just don't have to pay for the phone service to get DSL.

If I'm waiting for anything, it's Fiber. There are houses in Japan that have had 100/100 up and down and others that now have Gbps speeds...for less than we'd pay for a true T-1.s
You would be surprised to know that all of orange county and most of SD already has the ability to run fiber directly to your house. I can't believe you mentioned dslextreme! I used to manage their security a LONG time ago before they where big named! FYI they still sell the 6mb/1.5mb connection for around $50 a month ;) so if you need that speed they got it!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike, supposedly it's going to be $19.95 a month for 30 months without any package involved or reference to prior package. Of course now I can't find the reference :icon_roll. Also, I suspect DSL Extreme is going to be more than that (we subscribe to the fastest BellSouth has available at the moment.) Our phone/internet bill is $75.00 a month. We rarely need to do any long-distance calls so we use a 'phone card for that and as already mentioned use pay ahead Tracfones for any cell use. If I can at some future point get DSL along with cells that are on an actual plan for about the same that might be the way to go. Although we seldom use the cellphones either.

Hmmmm, seems to come down to six of one, half a dozen of the other now that I write it out.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
here in NYC the difference between basic POTs+ADSL and naked DSL of the
same speed is only $15-$20 per Month and requires a one year commitment,
so for that minor savings most would rather keep their POTs alive.
when hell freezes over and cable TV rates become more affordable,
I will cancel my POTs+ADSL, move my local number to my cell phone
and use cable TV for my broadband connection.

·
Registered
506 Posts
You would be surprised to know that all of orange county and most of SD already has the ability to run fiber directly to your house. I can't believe you mentioned dslextreme! I used to manage their security a LONG time ago before they where big named! FYI they still sell the 6mb/1.5mb connection for around $50 a month ;) so if you need that speed they got it!
I'd argue that most of SD can go fiber. My utilities aren't even underground.

Also...I'm about 15000 ft from the CO, so they won't even think of offering me the 6Mbps plan. I was lucky to get the 1500/384 plan.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Mike, supposedly it's going to be $19.95 a month for 30 months without any package involved or reference to prior package. Of course now I can't find the reference :icon_roll. Also, I suspect DSL Extreme is going to be more than that (we subscribe to the fastest BellSouth has available at the moment.) Our phone/internet bill is $75.00 a month. We rarely need to do any long-distance calls so we use a 'phone card for that and as already mentioned use pay ahead Tracfones for any cell use. If I can at some future point get DSL along with cells that are on an actual plan for about the same that might be the way to go. Although we seldom use the cellphones either.

Hmmmm, seems to come down to six of one, half a dozen of the other now that I write it out.
Ahhh...the 30 month contract. Yep...that's one way to get you when you don't want to have a phone line ;)

As for DSLExtreme being more expensive...nope. They're $2 cheaper on my plan and $33 for the 6Mbps plan right now. Add $25 for the phone and you're less than $60 a month.

You actually might be able to get a package deal from AT&T for DSL and Cell phones. They may require DirecTV as part of that package, though. But then again, they may see that people are ditching land lines and offer just a DSL and Cell package. Who knows what their marketing plan is?

·
Banned
418 Posts
I'd argue that most of SD can go fiber. My utilities aren't even underground.

Also...I'm about 15000 ft from the CO, so they won't even think of offering me the 6Mbps plan. I was lucky to get the 1500/384 plan.
Trust me the cables are there I personally looked at the fiber runs for both cities.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I inquired about this recently and they were charging me about $20/month MORE for naked DSL than if I have POTS+DSL. If there would be decent cable here I would switch... but there is only Charter.

Still, I used to pay about $40 for long distance, now it is $10 with VOIP.
(emphasis added)

Yup. That's what I'm afraid of. When push comes to shove I'll have to look at the bottom line very carefully.

·
Registered
286 Posts
in my area we call it dry loop. its DSL w/o a phone line service. Its a dedicated data line. for verizon its only an extra 5 bucks a month!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I got 10mb/768Kb up/down. Talk about download speed. I could upgrade to 20mb/1.5mb for $20 extra but I stopped gaming and downloading files about a year ago to concentrate on school.

·
Banned
418 Posts
Ahh...that might be it. I'm not officially in the city of San Diego. I'm just in the county.
Well I was told that fiber wouldn't even be considered until 2010 because there is already enough money to be made on sub par DSL connections so why bother spending more money when they don't have to.

Once the price faills to around $15 a month through out for DSL then and only then will they push faster speeds to get the loss revenue back and get users back to paying $50 a month like when DSL first became available.

It's always about money!

·
Registered
286 Posts
weird. i always thought that cali got everything before the east coast. we have low speed dsl 768k thru verizon for 15 bucks a month. the next speed (5mbs?) is like 30 and now we have FiOs. fiber optic internet and tv. the internet is 50 a month. no need for an existing line.

·
Registered
506 Posts
My 1.5Mbps is $19.99 with intro offers at less than $15.

Where the East Coast has an advantage, I think, is age of construction. I'm guessing the East Coast infrastructure needed an upgrade before the West Coast. That's where FiOs and related are probably coming from.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts