The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 125gal tank and run a Filstar XP-3 canister filter. I have been using Seachem Renew but have decided to try Purigen since it is so well liked here. I put 250ml in at my last water change and I must say the water looks better.

I have a few questions I am hoping to get some feedback on from some of you that are currently using Purigen or have used it in the past.

First I am wondering about what amount is used for different sized tanks. As mentioned I put 250ml in my filter for the 125. That doesn't seem like much to me, Seachem states that amount will treat a 250gal tank for up to six months. Is that pretty close to what I can expect? Is that from one regeneration to the next or the life of the product? If that 's the life of the product how often between regenerations as a general rule (assuming this will vary)? How many times can it be regenerated before it needs to be replaced?

I plan to just switch out the Purigen with a second bag when the first is exhausted and then regenerate the first bag etc. so I always have some ready to go. Is this what is commonly done?

What is the best way to store the regenerated bag until it is going to be used? After regenerating I was planning on storing it in some RO water until it was time to switch it out. Is plain RO water the way to go here?

Also the Seachem website say that for freshwater use it should soak in a buffer solution after the bleach and dechlorinator soaks. I have Seachem Alkaline Buffer on hand, is this ok to use or is something else needed or works better?

Any help from those of you that have experience using Purigen would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I use it. I guess it depend on how long it lasts. I had the pre packaged one i think 100ml on a 10 gallon to remove tannins which happened in less than 24hrs. I put it in a ac50. I just regenerated my puigen it lasted about 2 months. It was very brown. I've also read you don't add the buffer seachem changed the regeneration instructions. Currently it's being stored in a baggie with ro water to keep it moist my driftwood isn't releasing anymore tanins.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
After fully exhausting Purigen and recharging about 6-10 times, you have to replace it as it will exhaust in minutes/days rather than months.

It depends on how much waste and amount of stock in your tank. Obviously more waste/stock = faster exhaustion.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
The best way to answer your first question is to say that you need only use as much Purigen beads in a suitably-sized bag to fit your filter horizontal area, at not more than approx. 3/4" thickness for it to be effective. That would allow water to free-flow through the tiny beads for maximum adsorption benefit. Hope that gives you a general idea.
So, as a best approximation, I'd suggest you could make do with around 1/2 of the quantity in a 250 ml jar - i.e. 125 ml's in one bag for the size of your tank, which you should be able to re-generate roughly up to a dozen times while still maintaining most of its efficacy, assuming re-generation approx. every 3 weeks or so, perhaps less, when it has adsorbed enough matter to stain it a medium brown color, not blackish.
So yes, what Seachem states you can expect is more or less accurate.

Your thoughts of having a 2nd bag on the go, to replace the prior one while it's being re-generated, is very good to maintain a 24/7 approach. I run 2 filters in my discus tank, and have a Purigen bag in each one, ( so 4 bags on the go - 2 in the filters & 2 being re-charged) which I rotate the re-generation of by re-charging one bag in one filter one week, and the other bag the following week or so - so as not to unduly deplete the level of beneficial bacteria housed by the beads.

Purigen should be kept at least damp and not allowed to dry out, so following regeneration and thorough rinsing out of the bleach solution (several times), it should be kept in Seachem Prime de-chlorinared water (tap water is fine)- using double the Prime dosage for the water volume involved.

No buffer is necessary - I've not used any for years, and to my knowledge Seachem has since removed reference to a buffer from it's instructions for re-generating.

Hope this deals with what you were looking for.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The best way to answer your first question is to say that you need only use as much Purigen beads in a suitably-sized bag to fit your filter horizontal area, at not more than approx. 3/4" thickness for it to be effective. That would allow water to free-flow through the tiny beads for maximum adsorption benefit. Hope that gives you a general idea.
So, as a best approximation, I'd suggest you could make do with around 1/2 of the quantity in a 250 ml jar - i.e. 125 ml's in one bag for the size of your tank, which you should be able to re-generate roughly up to a dozen times while still maintaining most of its efficacy, assuming re-generation approx. every 3 weeks or so, perhaps less, when it has adsorbed enough matter to stain it a medium brown color, not blackish.
So yes, what Seachem states you can expect is more or less accurate.

Your thoughts of having a 2nd bag on the go, to replace the prior one while it's being re-generated, is very good to maintain a 24/7 approach. I run 2 filters in my discus tank, and have a Purigen bag in each one, ( so 4 bags on the go - 2 in the filters & 2 being re-charged) which I rotate the re-generation of by re-charging one bag in one filter one week, and the other bag the following week or so - so as not to unduly deplete the level of beneficial bacteria housed by the beads.

Purigen should be kept at least damp and not allowed to dry out, so following regeneration and thorough rinsing out of the bleach solution (several times), it should be kept in Seachem Prime de-chlorinared water (tap water is fine)- using double the Prime dosage for the water volume involved.

No buffer is necessary - I've not used any for years, and to my knowledge Seachem has since removed reference to a buffer from it's instructions for re-generating.

Hope this deals with what you were looking for.
Thanks to all for the responses.

Discuspaul you've prompted another question I didn't address in my first post. I was wondering about putting 2 bags in the filter at the same time and only switching out one of them with a regenerated bag at a time. In essence alternating 3 bags with 2 in the filter, removing the oldest one and replacing with the regenerated bag. My thinking is to not remove all the beneficial bacteria at once as you've described. I generally disassemble and clean the filter once a month. That would leave the bags in the filter for 2 months before being switched out. Maybe that would be unrealistic even if I tried to extend the time between regeneration by running a larger amount in the filter at one time. Any thoughts on this?

Thank You

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Apparently a good approach to alternating for the sake of maintaining an optimal level of beneficial bacteria volume, but I wonder about whether or not that amount of Purigen is needed in one filter at any one time on an ongoing basis get the results that Purigen is said to provide. You could check it out & see what it does for you water clarity-wise, and what color the beads get after 2 months' use.
But I do feel it may be somewhat of a waste of the Purigen benefits, and may reduce the life expectancy of the effectiveness of the beads.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apparently a good approach to alternating for the sake of maintaining an optimal level of beneficial bacteria volume, but I wonder about whether or not that amount of Purigen is needed in one filter at any one time on an ongoing basis get the results that Purigen is said to provide. You could check it out & see what it does for you water clarity-wise, and what color the beads get after 2 months' use.
But I do feel it may be somewhat of a waste of the Purigen benefits, and may reduce the life expectancy of the effectiveness of the beads.
I might be better off just using the space in the filter a second bag would take up with more of the permanent bio-media I'm already using. Probably over-thinking this a little bit. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Curiosity question, has anyone used Purigen in a reactor? Seachem says it's possible with a low flow rate. More of the media is exposed to the water. But regeneration requires an extra step to put the media back into a media bag; not a big deal though. I have a BRS deluxe reactor I may, put some loose Purigen in to experiment with. And put the reactor in the sump.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I use the pre bagged version 100ml in my 12 gallon with an aqua clear HOB and 50 ml in each of my 6 gallons both also running aqua clear HOBs. All are heavily planted. Just be careful if you plan on using anything other than their filter bag-The particles are really tiny and other bags will not hold up as well under the bleach (I use panty hose in each of the 6 gallon)
I was told, by a seachem rep that storing it in tap water is preferred as it will prevent pathogens from developing in the storage water and this is what I have done for the last year or so. I keep it in the back of a cabninet so as not to expose to light.
Also, yes alkaline buffer works and it is also what I use. Though as a side note I was told most people at seachem and many other hobbyist just skip is step all together.

Bump: Forgot to add that I generally restore every 2-3 months though I believe it can go far longer without needing it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use the pre bagged version 100ml in my 12 gallon with an aqua clear HOB and 50 ml in each of my 6 gallons both also running aqua clear HOBs. All are heavily planted. Just be careful if you plan on using anything other than their filter bag-The particles are really tiny and other bags will not hold up as well under the bleach (I use panty hose in each of the 6 gallon)
I was told, by a seachem rep that storing it in tap water is preferred as it will prevent pathogens from developing in the storage water and this is what I have done for the last year or so. I keep it in the back of a cabninet so as not to expose to light.
Also, yes alkaline buffer works and it is also what I use. Though as a side note I was told most people at seachem and many other hobbyist just skip is step all together.

Bump: Forgot to add that I generally restore every 2-3 months though I believe it can go far longer without needing it.
Thanks for the reply. I did purchase these bags at Amazon as many reviewers stated they used them for Purigen and rated them very well.. I'll have to see how they hold up.

I also e-mailed Seachem with the buffer question at the same time I posted this thread. I got this reply.
Thank you for your email. Typically we recommend that you use Neutral Regulator or Discus Buffer, but typically any buffer will work. This is to ensure that you do not experience a drop in pH in a lowly buffered or unbuffered system after regeneration so the Alkaline Buffer should be fine. I would recommend that you soak in the buffer solution, then rinse well before placing into the aquarium.
I hope this helps. Have a nice day!
Product Support 102086
I see on their website comments similar to what you state about storing Purigen in tap water to prevent pathogens. I imagine another dechlorination soak before use may be in order.

I'm hoping to get a month out of a use before regeneration and it sound like this might be possible. I'm sure that varies in each particular situation.

Thanks again

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I did purchase these bags at Amazon as many reviewers stated they used them for Purigen and rated them very well.. I'll have to see how they hold up.

Amazon.com : Pura (Magnavore) APU00414 3-Pack 300-Micron Media Bags for Aquarium Filter, 6 by 12-Inch : Mesh Filter Bag : Pet Supplies

I also e-mailed Seachem with the buffer question at the same time I posted this thread. I got this reply.
Thank you for your email. Typically we recommend that you use Neutral Regulator or Discus Buffer, but typically any buffer will work. This is to ensure that you do not experience a drop in pH in a lowly buffered or unbuffered system after regeneration so the Alkaline Buffer should be fine. I would recommend that you soak in the buffer solution, then rinse well before placing into the aquarium.
I hope this helps. Have a nice day!
Product Support 102086
I see on their website comments similar to what you state about storing Purigen in tap water to prevent pathogens. I imagine another dechlorination soak before use may be in order.

I'm hoping to get a month out of a use before regeneration and it sound like this might be possible. I'm sure that varies in each particular situation.

Thanks again
I would strongly suggest you make absolutly sure the filter bag you purchased will hold the Purigen. I made the mistake of ordering a filter bag off of amazon, though not the exact one as you did, that other reviewers said would hold Purigen. The bag arrived, Purigen went in, I kind of squeezed it around, and everything seemed fine. Then I placed it in the filter and it was like a New Year's Eve ballon drop. All the fish went racing around swallowing pellets. Thankfully they all survived but it was a pain to remove all the other pellets they did not eat from the gravel.

As for storage method. I don't think another actual "soak" in declorinator is needed. When I'm ready to reinstall it I just place a few drops of Prime in the storage container, shake it around for 5-10 sec, remove from container and directly place in filter

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would strongly suggest you make absolutly sure the filter bag you purchased will hold the Purigen. I made the mistake of ordering a filter bag off of amazon, though not the exact one as you did, that other reviewers said would hold Purigen. The bag arrived, Purigen went in, I kind of squeezed it around, and everything seemed fine. Then I placed it in the filter and it was like a New Year's Eve ballon drop. All the fish went racing around swallowing pellets. Thankfully they all survived but it was a pain to remove all the other pellets they did not eat from the gravel.

As for storage method. I don't think another actual "soak" in declorinator is needed. When I'm ready to reinstall it I just place a few drops of Prime in the storage container, shake it around for 5-10 sec, remove from container and directly place in filter
The bag I'm using from Amazon has been in my filter a week now with Purigen and everything seems fine. I'll be keeping a close eye on things. Hopefully all will be fine.

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.