The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long should a buyer wait before filing a paypal claim? And how many email attempts to the person with no response should you wait before filing a claim.

I ask because I got that lovely fungus from a seller on some of my shrimp I bought come them, well all bout 3 of that type of shrimp.

Wondering because it is day four and 6 emails and other social media ways of contacting them with nothing back.

Just seeing if I am jumping to conclusions.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'd give them a week.

In this day and age, emails and text messages will go to the recipient's inbox no matter what.

There shouldn't be any excuses for an open communication to resolve a dispute.

Good luck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If I buy something and get no word back within a week I file a claim. I feel a week is enough time to deal with a crisis or family emergency which may be keeping a seller from quickly responding.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
you made your attempts. sooner the better.
make sure you put everything you've done into the paypal dispute times/dates/emails/EVERYTHING.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Honestly I respond within an hour if I'm awake to any questions/concerns about a purchase. I think 3-5 days is more than enough to at least "open" a claim. There no excuse to not get back to someone in a timely manner.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Start the process now. PayPal will deal with it. It doesn't instantly give you your money back, PayPal contacts the seller and tells then a claim is being lobbied against them and they have a choice to either make it right or challenge it. They have to respond, and if you get no response, you can escalate it to a fraud claim and you will get your money back.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Start the process now. PayPal will deal with it. It doesn't instantly give you your money back, PayPal contacts the seller and tells then a claim is being lobbied against them and they have a choice to either make it right or challenge it. They have to respond, and if you get no response, you can escalate it to a fraud claim and you will get your money back.

^^ This, just filing a claim does not hurt the seller. It makes them take notice that you are serious about getting something resolved and in most cases, motivates the seller to open communication with you. And as the last resort, if they still don't, you have a solid leg to stand on when it's time to complete the dispute.

(Btw short of an apocalypse, with smart phones etc, there is no way a seller should not contact you back within a 48 hour time frame.)

I sell stuff, just not shrimp. :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
How did you purchase the shrimp? If it was through ebay, you should succeed in getting some sort of refund. If you purchased the shrimp through a forum or outside source with no protection service, then you will likely not succeed. I'm just basing this off of my own experiences dealing with Paypal. Good luck!

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
3 to 5 days is plenty. People today are connected near 24/7, especially those selling online.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
How did you purchase the shrimp? If it was through ebay, you should succeed in getting some sort of refund. If you purchased the shrimp through a forum or outside source with no protection service, then you will likely not succeed. I'm just basing this off of my own experiences dealing with Paypal. Good luck!
You are always protected as long as you did not send as a gift.

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was sent as a normal payment I learned the hard way a year back. I am going to give it 5 days which will be tomorrow and then a claim will be issued. I like the buyer and have bought from him before had a bump or 2 but always makes it right. But I got them acclimated thought I thought 3 came berried then a week in i went to isolate one to count the offspring and noticed it was not berries but a fungus pulled them all and some had a little looked like it was starting and some so much looked like berries.

Ahhhh!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
down side is if it is live paypal will tell you they cant help you so dont tell them its shrimp. i ran into that with a fish last october.

so i tracked down an answer took me a few and several windows but here it is. basically because e.bay prohibits live animals paypal wont cover them. it might be a case by case but that is what i have come up with so far. i hope you the best.

check 13.3
https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/...x=US&locale.x=en_US#13. Protection for Buyers.

under e. bay prohibited and restricted
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/items-ov.html#prohibited

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
They normally don't cover live animals. Whenever you buy livestock or plants, source your paypal payment via your credit card. So if paypal sticks you with the bill, you can call the credit card company and present them with your case and they will give you your money back.

But if you still have the shrimps and is willing to return it, sometimes paypal will refund you as long as you mail it back. They don't cover live animals because of DOA and people throw it away so they can't return it.

I am notoriously unlucky when getting fish shipped. One time my fish came and they were dead, i kept the box and the fish outside and called paypal and they gave me a refund. Another time, they died and i threw them out, paypal told me sorry we can't cover it because you have nothing to return.

So my advice for you is, open a case, select defective. And if your claim is denied, call them and explain you are willing to ship the shrimps back. If you source via your credit card, call them and tell them what happened and request a charge back.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
some times it works some times it dont. i would just describe it as goods not as described. they were not described as having a fungus.....

·
Registered
219 Posts
^^ This, just filing a claim does not hurt the seller. It makes them take notice that you are serious about getting something resolved and in most cases, motivates the seller to open communication with you. And as the last resort, if they still don't, you have a solid leg to stand on when it's time to complete the dispute.

(Btw short of an apocalypse, with smart phones etc, there is no way a seller should not contact you back within a 48 hour time frame.)

I sell stuff, just not shrimp. :)
I completely disagree...I sell tons of shrimp and other aquatics. I have a very busy life and selling aquatics is not my primary function. I think it is very reasonable to give someone a week. Sure I try to get back to people in 3 or so days, but to say 48 hours is kinda of ridiculous IMHO...I am not some big corporation with a customer service department. Sometimes it takes me an entire evening just to get through half the emails I deal with every day.

Steve...give him a week, if nothing then, go right after whomever it was.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts