The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do with the extras when you trimmed off a stem? And your tank is already very dense and don't want to replant the extras in some random order. Also, how many times you can trim off the old stem? Is it better to trim off the new part of the stem and to replant it instead.? Throw out the old ones?

BTW, I don't have another tank. And I don't want to "throw them out." Are there ways to better use these extra plants?

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Compost is more useful than trashing them. Or you could pack them up and offer them here as a RAOK for the cost of shipping.

You can trim as much as you want. As long as it's rooted, it will be fine. Often two new stems will grow from just below the clipped point. I prefer to keep the rooted section of stem plants because the leaves of the clipping will often start to die off before it can root itself. And then you just have an ugly clipping.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Some plants sprout better than others, you will see which ones will sprout. For me Bacopa and Rotala resprout really well but Myrio and pennywort don't regenerate well.

In time even great resprouters will lose some steam and the stumps won't have leaves left and they won't sprout as well. Just pull it all up and replant the healthy tops when that happens.

It is prettier to pull if you replant but it is less work to trim!

+1 on selling here or locally. You may find Craig's List works for you or a local fish club member will take your cuttings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.