The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard a lot about it some good some bad. But i've heard of people modifying it to increase the outcome. I plan on getting one for a 30 gallon incase I simply feel lazy and don't want to do a water change. Does anyone know of any mods to improve for a better performance?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The best way to modify an odyssea skimmer is to smash it to bits with a hammer and replace it with a skimmer worthy of your tank. This as the added advantage of not inflicting the skimmer on some one else.

Yea, I know that sounds like I'm being flip, but it really is the truth. odyssea has a less than stellar reputation in the hobby. If you need a skimmer for a 30 gal tank, get something like an AquaC Remora. Yea, I know it's about 4 times the price, but it's quality and you'll only need to buy it once.

However, I should also point out that skimmers are not very effective in FW systems, and this is a planted tank forum. If that is what your planning the skimmer for, save your money.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
However, I should also point out that skimmers are not very effective in FW systems, and this is a planted tank forum. If that is what your planning the skimmer for, save your money.
If its a surface skimmer, its very effective in freshwater
overflow boxes have become quite popular for planted tanks due to the rich oxygenation of the water column which allows more co2 to be used safely

EDIT: just looked it up. its a full blown protein skimmer.. so it doesn't provide much benefit.. but the bubbles will still hold organics and help clean the water.. but will absolutely destroy ur co2 if ur dosing any

1 - 3 of 3 Posts