The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a planted tank with tropical fish. The substrate is mostly eco-complete. I am planning to convert it into a cichlid tank. If I leave the plants and the eco-complete substrate in the tank and put the cichlids in it. What are they implications of it?. Will the cichlids tear down the plants and the substrate?. Will the cichlids be ok in it? or do they prefer only sandy substrate and rocks?.

I have a 30 gallon long tank. I would like to know what kind of cichlids I can have in that tank. Please give me your recommendations on which cichlids would be easy to raise?.

Please let me know your valuable opinions and advice.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I currently have a planted tank with tropical fish. The substrate is mostly eco-complete. I am planning to convert it into a cichlid tank. If I leave the plants and the eco-complete substrate in the tank and put the cichlids in it. What are they implications of it?. Will the cichlids tear down the plants and the substrate?. Will the cichlids be ok in it? or do they prefer only sandy substrate and rocks?.

Please let me know your valuable opinions and advice.
What kind of Cichlids are you wanting to add? Africans I presume. I've seen planted African tanks before and it can be done. I would suggest having a nice rooted specimen as it will be harder to uproot. Balance enough plant and rock mass as well. Keep them on a well veggie based diet and you should be fine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
A great site is cichlid-forum.com, from there you can go to the library and check out which types of cichlids can be kept in your 30 gallon.

A planted tank for cichlids is tough. Most dig them up and/or eat them so keep this in mind. Yow could have some texas holey rock with a few plants but you would have to be extremely lucky to have a full planted tank. If I were you I would check out other people cichlid tanks and I.D the plants and fish they are keeping.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.