Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I throw some cash on some RCS, I need to
get some questions answered. There will be quite a few,
so try your best! :D
#1. If I have a java moss carpet for them, will their color
be transparent like if I had sand?
#2. Would they just eat tropical fish flakes like guppies?
#3. If they lived with guppies in a planted tank, should I try to
find the shrimplets and put them in a breeder net?
#4. Would Blood parrots eat these guys?

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
Before I throw some cash on some RCS, I need to
get some questions answered. There will be quite a few,
so try your best! :D
#1. If I have a java moss carpet for them, will their color
be transparent like if I had sand?
#2. Would they just eat tropical fish flakes like guppies?
#3. If they lived with guppies in a planted tank, should I try to
find the shrimplets and put them in a breeder net?
#4. Would Blood parrots eat these guys?
1) Their red colouration will show better on a moss carpet than a pale/white sand sbustrate

2) Most people feed shrimp-specific food; fish flakes are not recommended as they likely do not have enough vegetable content

3) Guppies would probably eat the shrimplets before you could find them. They may even attack the adults and eat them.

4) Definitely.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh thanks, and I forgot a few questions.
Do RCS eat guppy fry? Can they withstand
50F in the winters at night?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
RCS won't attack the guppy fry. They can withstand 50F but it's not good for long term. Just a small heater should be all you need.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RCS won't attack the guppy fry. They can withstand 50F but it's not good for long term. Just a small heater should be all you need.
I was just wondering if I could put them in my old 20 gallon xD. Since their bioload is so small, do they need a filter in a tank with a thick 3 inch java moss carpet and java fern? Some one also told me they need an air pump.... is that true? Sorry I have so many questions. lol

·
Registered
684 Posts
Another reason why fish flakes aren't recommended, they contain copper. If you are going to feed em commercial food check the ingredients for anything copper. Copper kills inverts.
Apparently Hikari Shrimp Cuisine is fine though.

I usually feed them HSC, Tetra Color Bits, Blanched spinach, Barley straw pellets, ken's veggy wafers.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Inverts need copper and for your info, the blanched spinach contains copper as well so they would actually be dead if your statement were true. Inverts cannot tolerate too much copper in the water column, but they must ingest copper for their blood to carry oxygen, like humans and zinc.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Inverts need copper and for your info, the blanched spinach contains copper as well so they would actually be dead if your statement were true. Inverts cannot tolerate too much copper in the water column, but they must ingest copper for their blood to carry oxygen, like humans and zinc.
^ True story.

The whole copper in food thing is widely debated, but you truly never can go wrong with blanched veggies/shrimp specific food.

Here's a rule of thumb:

If a fish can stick it in its mouth, it will eat it. The blood parrots probably would try to eat your finger.

I doubt guppies would eat adults, but they'd definitely eat fry.

If you can find a small heater you can control the temp of, you can preset it to 68° F and you'd be set.

Shrimp love anything green, especially moss.

Have you learned about cycling? I just observe people asking air stone / filter questions when they haven't learned about cycling.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
A filter's NOT NEEDED, but it's HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Just a sponge filter should be sufficient. If you do go with HOBs/internals/canisters/etc. then put a sponge/stainless steel mesh over the intake pipe/slots so the baby shrimp won't get sucked up.

You don't absolutely need java moss or java fern. Any type of moss/fern will do--in fact, you can put any type of plant you want in your tank. Since RCS are the hardiest shrimp, you can go crazy with however much light, CO2, and fertilizers you please. RCS couldn't care less. I would hold off on the CO2 for a while though because you sound like you're new to the aquarium hobby, and sometimes you can make a mistake with CO2 and gas your pets or kill them with yeast. Believe me, I've done that before--except without any fish in the tank, whew--and it wasn't pretty. The yeast didn't go away after several weeks.

As for an air pump, as long as your filter has enough flow, then no, you don't need one.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
A filter's NOT NEEDED, but it's HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Just a sponge filter should be sufficient. If you do go with HOBs/internals/canisters/etc. then put a sponge/stainless steel mesh over the intake pipe/slots so the baby shrimp won't get sucked up.

You don't absolutely need java moss or java fern. Any type of moss/fern will do--in fact, you can put any type of plant you want in your tank. Since RCS are the hardiest shrimp, you can go crazy with however much light, CO2, and fertilizers you please. RCS couldn't care less. I would hold off on the CO2 for a while though because you sound like you're new to the aquarium hobby, and sometimes you can make a mistake with CO2 and gas your pets or kill them with yeast. Believe me, I've done that before--except without any fish in the tank, whew--and it wasn't pretty. The yeast didn't go away after several weeks.

As for an air pump, as long as your filter has enough flow, then no, you don't need one.
Sure, Walstad works. But you can't recommend no filter to someone new to shrimp.

The HOB is a new shrimpers best friend, not to mention it can move your cycle from place to place.

Some people swear by sponge filters, but I'd say again, you can't recommend them to someone who isn't keeping strictly shrimp. He wants to keep them with some livebearer, in other words a poop machine.

Good note on the prefilter.

And I would say, from my experience no moss=don't get shrimp. They LOVE that stuff. It's actually proven that they get an entirely new food source just from the moss.

I'd just say you need to keep each individual posters tank in mind when posting advice, because everybody's tank is different, so is everybody's experience level, and some advice isn't good for newbies.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sadly, my mom won't let me
get another tank since I already
have two, so I tried to put them
with my guppies or blood parrots. :p
I couldn't wait a few more days so
I went to get 10 of them! :D
I found out that like Hikari Algae
wafers, so I got some. I'll notify
u guys if something bad happens.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Oh, I didn't read the part about him/her wanting to keep live bearers with his shrimp. I agree that moss is the most important for a shrimp tank, but that doesn't mean moss should be the only plant.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Overgrowth-- no problem. I just want newbies to get the best advise possible.

(I'd never advise just one plant either :))

I tried to put them
with my guppies or blood parrots. :p
I couldn't wait a few more days so
If you put them in with blood parrots get ready to experience all shrimp deaths..

·
Super Moderator
16,073 Posts
Remember, all, this is a family-friendly forum. It is necessary to be kind to all members at all times and to help anyone who has questions - especially when it comes to our youngest members. They're the future of our hobby.

OP: If you provide a lot of moss and ground cover, your shrimp may be okay. In the future, maybe you could turn one of your tanks into a habitat for just shrimp? They're tons of fun.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea, I tried to give anyway my blood parrots so I could
have the 30 gal for the shrimp. It
was a gift from a friend since he was moving. I've
noticed some of the shrimp like to mess with the guppies'
tails? I don't think it is a food issue because I drop them
a whole algae disk every 2 days. I have 10 of them, so I
don't think they are afraid of the fish either. What could
it be? I've also noticed some of the guppies' fins are ripped.
Might be the other males though.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I highly doubt the shrimp are harming your fish. I have teeny tiny baby guppies housed with full grown adult shrimp and they dont bother them. I even have amano shrimp, who are harmless. Dont worry about them eating or harming the fish. Another thing, is that you are feeding your shrimp way too much. Try crushing that wafer into 1/4 or even an 1/8 for the shrimp to eat every other day.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since all three of the fish/ shrimp
eat the wafer, I think it's enough.
I have a 7" Pleco that feeds on it also.
I really don't think it's too much for them,
I'll be moving the Pleco back to the 75 gal
today though. Just wondering, do rcs eat
the same microorganisms as fry? Like Daphina?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts