The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not interested in breeding, so I'd like to get male or female dwarf cichilds (German or Bolivian rams) in a 40 g tank. I've never had cichlids before.

My questinos are:
1. Do females tend to be more aggressive?
2. Can I mix different rams (e.g., German & Bolivian rams together)
3. Do Rams need an rocky environment?

Thanks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
As far as I know, females tend to be more passive. These fish are also generally peaceful unless there is a dominance issue regarding mates, so it sounds like you'll be avoiding that one. And as far as different rams, don't think that's an issue but let's let someone else answer that one.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Rams always establish a pecking order among themselves. But females GENERALLY are less aggressive than males... though not always. In a 40gal tank I probably wouldn't try more than one male, though 2 or 3 total fish would probably be OK.

Just make sure that you arrange the tank so that the "lines of sight" are blocked. As long as Rams have the ability to get out of each others' sight relatively quickly, they tend to be OK. Big-leafed swords, Anubias, etc tend to help.

No, Rams don't need a rocky environment.

You can keep them together, but keep in mind that Bolivian rams tend to be slightly larger, so that's something to keep an eye on should aggression break out.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I'm not interested in breeding, so I'd like to get male or female dwarf cichilds (German or Bolivian rams) in a 40 g tank. I've never had cichlids before.

My questinos are:
1. Do females tend to be more aggressive?
2. Can I mix different rams (e.g., German & Bolivian rams together)
3. Do Rams need an rocky environment?

Thanks.
I would keep in mind that the rams (german blue) prefer (need), soft acidic water with pH values not much above 6.8
The bolivian ram is a bit more forgiving with respect to pH or hardness.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Bolivian rams are easier to keep and more tame, but larger in size as stated. the trick with the rams is clean water as stated on the PH, although the domestic and adopt to different PH, but they are better in soft water. The other thing is to find good stock, most of the LFS stock comes full of steroids and problems.
The GBRs are a nice fish to have and yes you can mix different stock, if you have the room.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.