The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wonderin if anybody here uses a small cylinder like a paintball cylinder and how long does it take for it to be emtied...and also I lived in the toronto area and was wonderin if anybody in this forum that's from ontario that could direct me into finding a bigger co2 cylinder cause I really wanna switch to pressurized co2 insted of the DIY method...thanks....

·
Registered
754 Posts
My 20 oz lasts about four weeks on my 125 gallon, I loose a fair bit out of the surface. I inject via a powerhead and limewood/rhinox setup via a milwauukee solenoid and controller that turns off at night.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would it make a difference if my tank is 20 gallon??? I don't think I wanna go and refill my canister every month

·
Registered
754 Posts
125/20 = just over 5 months

The refill place happens to be 4 blocks from my house, I have two and swap them back an forth so I always have one on hand.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told that I could purchase this at walmart so I'm going to check it out today and probably buy a couple so that I will always have a refill right away while I send out the other one....anyways for the rest of the co2 stuff I found this on the net CO2 Regulator Kit: BlueLine Products
Is this all I need to set up or do I need something else..btw ph controller is not on my budget....lol...thanks...

·
Registered
754 Posts
epicfish is right, but it's only about 15 bucks of fittings at any plumbing/gas fitting place. That said, I'd go the red sea route if I was set on paintball...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that's some good info...thanks..anyways I went to walmart today and found that the 20 oz cylinder is about $50 canadian with taxes...so the red sea kit is what I need then....I should've thought about this when I was still working at big als now I don't get discounts....:hihi:BTW there's a paintball playground near my house..would they fill up my cylinder there or is it way cheaper to go a welding place???

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ok i Just did this myself I am yet to use it on my 55 tank build yet. I used Paint ball on /off valve (ebay18$) to go from paintball valve (pin cga-340 to regulare cga-340) hope I got that right. Then used a AR/O2 regulator I got at Harbor Frieght ($33) then to a silinode and then to a needle valve the to bubble counter. The requeired part is the on/off valve to get to a reagular cga-340 valve. If I find a large 10lb tanks I can easilly go to that later. I got my paintball 20oz, needle valve and silinode from here for 60$ So I have 120 ish in it not to bad but does not look as good as all in one unit. Beware of the redsea kit some have had trouble with the regulator. Thanks hope that helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys...Although the red sea kit seems to be the way to go..I'm not really digging the price($220 w/o the solenoid and $299 w/solenoid) the blueline kit from the link that I showed before seems to be alot cheaper..At this point maybe I'm better off getting a bigger bottle maybe a 5 lbs..Does anybody know a place in Toronto that I could buy cylinders, I've tried searching it on the net but not getting any accurate results...

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
If the Red Sea kit is that much why not just go with a full sized rig?

You can get a manual regulator for cheaper than that and then find a cylinder. If you want a regulator with a solenoid (full sized) they are under $150 USD delivered to Canada.

To find a cylinder try home brew beer stores, fire extinguisher shops and welding shops.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the suggestion rex...I look up my yellow pages and found a fire estinguisher shop near my house...I'll check it out today as they sell co2 fire estinguisher and refills them....

·
Registered
754 Posts
Looks like a good deal to me. Rex is right, if you can, you may as well go to the full size system. The only reason to go paintball in my opinion is for ease (not frequency!) of filling or compactness. I don't really believe its any cheaper than a rex or a blueline in the end. I'm just trying to save room in my stand.

G_sharky, I think its a bit different in the US when it comes to cylinders, it seems most people buy them, here all the vendors will rent you the cylinder at a very small rate or even free and you just swap the cylinder when it runs out. It allows for depot type service, I don't think the majority of places do a fill while you wait.

If you're interested in a good looking cylinder, you could probably get them refilled, but you'd want to talk in advance to your Air Liquide, Praxair or Boc gasses.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts