The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to move my tank onto this other stand but first I had questions regarding moving it.
-8 gallon biocube glass tank

Do I need to drain out all the water before moving it? It is full of plants & shrimp & I'd like to maybe drain 1/4 of the tank then move it, would this be a bad idea?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Risky business there my friend. I bet you could move it if you drained it and left the substrate/hardscape in place. However, if it were me and my house, it would be a complete tear down...

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
For a cube, you can lift them full, it's not heavy, but what I've done is drain 50% of the water, get someone to help you slide it onto a board, carry the board, slide off the new area, done. Push on and off the board near the bottom of the tank where there is still water.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You can drain out almost all the water and move it no problem.
Just be smart about it.
I drained my 75 gal tank almost empty. I kepted enough water so the fish and shrimp will stay alive. Also I didn't want to rescape so it kept everything in place.
Here's how I did it;
Got a lot of 5 gal buckets and syphon all the water to it so that way I don't need to cycle my tank again etc...
Got a couple friends to come help me lift the tank off of the stand.
From there we moved the stand to a new location and then moved the tank afterwards.
At the new location I just used a water pump and pumped back all the water from all the 5 gal buckets back into my tank.
Fish was happy and everything was still intact.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The weight of the tank with the water doesn't concern me. It's whether the integrity of the tank would be able to withstand me moving it. It has maybe 15 lbs of sand, no heavy rocks, but lots of shrimp. I doubt I'd be able to catch them all, let alone the tiny babies I can barely see.

The other stand is about 10 feet away so it isn't a long distance. I wish I could drain the whole thing, but the back of my tank has a huge glob of moss with hidden babies & 5 berried females. I could drain maybe 45% before the moss starts being above the surface...how much harm would it actually be for the shrimp to be above the water line, but in moss for a couple minutes? I feel like i'm in a lose/lose situation. ahhh

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nvm I got it guys, thanks.

I just used a power head attached to a long hose & put it in my wet/dry draining 40% of the water not disturbing anything in the main display & man I forgot how light this thing was

·
Registered
327 Posts
Nice work! At 40% of the water drained I bet the tank is no more than 30-35lbs. Even if it were marginally more, that shouldn't be a problem for glass.

It's really the 20+ gallon tanks that become a problem.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah. I'm just not all that used to glass tanks"even though I've had it for a year"

I'm mainly used to acrylic tanks as all I would keep are large cichlids. I remember filling a 55 gallon acrylic 25% percent then carrying it up the stairs. I'm sure That was a big no no but it held & was quite the workout, especially when the water would swish back & forward..man that was sketchy LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Moving a 20 gallon tank, with water and fish.

For a cube, you can lift them full, it's not heavy, but what I've done is drain 50% of the water, get someone to help you slide it onto a board, carry the board, slide off the new area, done. Push on and off the board near the bottom of the tank where there is still water.
This is my plan to move a 20 gallon tank -- first to a friend's house, 20 minutes, and then later to a new city -- 3 hours. I fear taking the large plecostomus out of the tank because he nearly killed himself with fighting, the last time when he was about 1/2 the size. And, I don't have a net big enough.

So, I would like to do the move by keeping water and fish in the tank, using a board, with handles, carried by 2 people to the car. With 1/4 to 1/3 full, it should be do-able. Has anyone actually done something like this with a 20 gallon, or more, tank?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Yes the board is a good trick for a partially filled tank. Just drive carefully bc the water will slosh from minimum forward momentum. Cover it and run an airstone.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have with a 20 gallon, no fish and just an inch or 2 of water above the substrate. The problem is going to be the water sloshing from side to side when cornering, stopping and starting. It will really beat up your pleco and leave him high and dry at least part of the time.

A 20 gallon is pretty small for a large pleco anyway, you might think of re-homing him if it is one of the larger variety.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Look in aquarium stores, but also fishing stores.
Fishermen use an air pump run from 12v to keep bait and catch alive.
There are also air pumps that plug into the wall, and most of the time run off the mains.
But when there is a power outage they have a battery back up. I am not sure it it will work if you unplug it, worth asking about.

However, I do not think you would need an air bubbler. The sloshing of the water during the ride is enough to ensure good oxygen levels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.