The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(40g)I'm going ahead and trying the DIY method for CO2. The Red sea product just seems like a scam and I figure why not adding some chemistry to my life. I'm going to take 2 2-liter with about 8 feet of airline hose for each of them and stick them directly into my HOB filter intake. If there are any problems with this please state them. I have a couple of questions though:
1) Can I use Adhesive Caulk with silicone sealant, or do I need to go buy aquarium friendly sealant even though its only going to be in the 2-liter?

2) I need the best diffusion method

3)How will the CO2 effect my fish: 2 pearl gouramis, 2 discus, some tetras, and a bushy nose

·
Super Moderator
11,971 Posts
Working with DIY CO2 may become a hassle to you soon, so I would recommend the switchover to pressurized. Once I made the switch, I'd never want to go back to DIY CO2. Your tank size is at the borderline where DIY CO2 is almost feasible and where it becomes a major hassle.

To answer your questions, however,

1) Can I use Adhesive Caulk with silicone sealant, or do I need to go buy aquarium friendly sealant even though its only going to be in the 2-liter?
As I answered in your other thread, yes, this is fine.

2) I need the best diffusion method
What you plan to do (i.e. feeding it into your HOB intake) is also fine.

3)How will the CO2 effect my fish: 2 pearl gouramis, 2 discus, some tetras, and a bushy nose
Probably not very much so. While it is possible to gas your fish with DIY CO2, two 2 L bottles likely will not.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Newb Question

My cat decided it would be funny to knock my cover of my tank onto the ground will it was laying on my bookshelf while i was pruning my plants. Now that I dont have a cover on my tank:icon_neut will the CO2 just evaporate into the air

·
Super Moderator
11,971 Posts
The CO2 will always diffuse into the atmosphere. In nature, everything goes from an area of higher concentration to a lower concentration. Since the concentration of CO2 in the aquarium is higher (i.e. because we are increasing it artificially by injecting CO2), the CO2 will have a tendency to move to an area of a lower concentration (i.e. the air/atmosphere). Hence, we must have a constant supply of CO2 injected to maintain a consistent concentration of CO2.

For example, if your aquarium had no plants, but you were to inject (say) 30 ppm of CO2 and then stop, within a few hours, the CO2 concentration would equilibriate with atmospheric CO2 concentrations (about 4 ppm).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Waiting.....

Thank you very much. I have everything installed and just waiting a week or so for the results. How long in everyone's personal opinion do you think it will take for me to see a difference in growth. To check out my tank you can check it out in my Profile.

·
Super Moderator
11,971 Posts
The general rule of thumb is that it takes approximately 2 weeks before you will start to notice any changes (this also works for bad results, i.e. algae that develops. You should look back on what you did differently in the last 2 weeks if you have such a problem).

·
Registered
265 Posts
I used DIY CO2 on my 46 gallon successfully. I used two heavy duty one gallon bottles with ½ gallon of mix in each. They were hooked in tandem and then I sent the tubing to an empty jar before going into the tank. I changed the mixture in one bottle every week in order to keep the CO2 in constant supply.
However, I injected into an XP2 canister for diffusion.
When you inject into a HOB, a lot of turbulence is created at the surface of the water. That does increase CO2 evaporation.
I have three smaller tanks that have DIY CO2 injected through HOB’s.

I use 2 ½ cups of sugar in the ½ gallon of water. I once used 4 cups per ½ gallon, and I almost killed my angels. Some say that you can’t OD CO2 with DIY. But I know you can.
Make sure you use a check valve to prevent tank water from siphoning back into your mixture. It HAS happened to me.
Good luck
Charles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts