The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, fairly new to freshwater planted tanks. And have some questions.

My wife and I have been doing saltwater for about 7 years so I'm familiar with sump setups and overflows. Our current planted setup is in a 55gal and my wife just can not stand how narrow it is for doing aquascaping and what not.

We have a marine land 60gal rimless sitting in our garage we were going to use for a salt tank but plans seem to be changing and it was brought up using it as a new tank for the planted setup. It has a corner overflow and return.

I'm wondering what is usually kept in. Freshwater sump. Is it just mechanical filtration? Is there any real benefit to a freshwater sump? How much flow does one want with a return pump?

I have a radion xr30 gen 2 that would be used for lighting and have most everything else. Just curious what my options are with the sump.

Thanks

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
489 Posts
I would utilize a sump on a freshwater tank (if I had the setup already, I wouldn't go purchase it for freshwater) the same way I did on my reef tanks.
I would use it to keep my filter (sponge, etc) and as a refugium for raising shrimp, and depending on the type of display, maybe as a plant filter.

If I didn't want, need many plants in the display tank, or it wasn't practical to keep plants in the display tank such as when keeping many/most cichlids
then I'd put a light over the sump and grow tons of hungry floaters like water lettuce and duckweed. EXCELLENT bio-filter. If using on a planted display
I'd use fewer, or zero floaters/plants since they'll ravenously use up nutrients that your display plants need and would be counterproductive.

Mostly it's a way to keep your filter and heater out of the display.
If it's big enough and you have the baffles set up correctly you can use it as a second, smaller tank. Maybe to keep a breeding pair of fish that would
otherwise cause issues in the community. You don't need a tone of turnover, so a small submersible, pulling through a sponge intake and returning to the display
is perfect. Then again I always made my own sumps out of glass tanks, and made them big, so I always had lots of room.
Just depends on your setup and what you're into.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome thank you. I just built my own 40b sump for our 120Salt tank. So I can do that.

We are wanting a community tank for our large angel fish. So plants in the display with drift wood. And we have the tank already marine land 60g rimless with corner overflow. So will be limited on size of sump but i need to finish the stand still. And see how much room I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like the sump because it keeps everything out of the display tanks except the spray bar. I even managed to cover the overflow with java moss. As far as filtration goes, I just use filter socks and I built a wall across the middle with some baskets full of bio media. Originally I was going to put baffles in it and more filter media, but I put it off long enough to realize I don't need to. The only downside is with the extra surface area I think I go through a little more CO2.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The last filter I bought recommend changing the bags once a month. I think thats a little over kill and you could easily go 60 days. I pull them out rise the worst off and then bleach them for couple days and then rise them off and set them outside to dry. I have enough bags so they won't be used again for couple months. Some others have told me they just rise them out.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It sounds like you're going to have a sump on your plant tank.

The tank drains ammonia-laden water down to the bio-balls in the sump, or whatever you call them. Nitrogen-eating bacteria grow in the bioball part and consume nitrogen bearing molecules in the water like ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. The bio-balls have lots of surfaces where bacteria can grow. Lots of bacteria. Bio-balls' surface area allows more air to dissolve in the water, but faster than the surface area of the main tank. Many people think it is a problem because they think that more oxygen de-gasses the CO2, which the plants like to take up. This is especially true in high-tech pressurized CO2 aquaria.

I wouldn't have any problem with putting mechanical filtration in the sump and putting in a light and floating plants. It's the same thing, except the de-gassing problem, and cheaper.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you have the sump use it! Two of my tanks use a sump (both freshwater) with bonded filter pad, or carbon pad, floss etc. above the wetdry bio media with a fine 45ppi sponge on the last baffle and plants in the middle(floaters in one subwassertang (Is that right?) in the other). Both are much more stable in parameters cleaner in appearance and the water is chrystal clear (I use pretty much the same media in my canisters and clean them with equal frequency) The sumps just seem to do a much better job not sure if its the added volume or the highly active oxygenated bio media or the extra mechanical filtration the trickle gives but I like the result and given time and space I would like all my tanks to have one. Good luck with your first planted tank:smile2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you have the sump use it! Two of my tanks use a sump (both freshwater) with bonded filter pad, or carbon pad, floss etc. above the wetdry bio media with a fine 45ppi sponge on the last baffle and plants in the middle(floaters in one subwassertang (Is that right?) in the other). Both are much more stable in parameters cleaner in appearance and the water is chrystal clear (I use pretty much the same media in my canisters and clean them with equal frequency) The sumps just seem to do a much better job not sure if its the added volume or the highly active oxygenated bio media or the extra mechanical filtration the trickle gives but I like the result and given time and space I would like all my tanks to have one. Good luck with your first planted tank:smile2:
what sort of lighting should I put in my sump. Is a small blue light ok. or could it be any colour?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.