The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got a Pleco today and was told that I didn't need to buy any certain food for him since we have had our tank set up for about three weeks, now I'm thinking they were wrong. He seems to be frantically searching the glass and I'm worried. I am going to pick something up tomorrow for him, but I also saw that people give them veggies and driftwood. I was just wondering if adding any of that will contaminate the water for the other fish. I just dont want to make the water all mucky despite the filter. This is our first aquarium and I want to make sure I am doing the best for our fish. So far we have a Molly, Dwarf Gourami and the Pleco. Any tips would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
What kind of pleco? Some are vegetarians (must have driftwood) and some are carnivores. You could put in some Zuchini or cucumber. What is still there after a day you need to remove. You could put in some cat fish pellets in case he a carnivore. They need to eat just like anything else. Stupid pet stores!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It said it was a Rubber Pleco. I guess they figured I would have enough algae in my tank for him to survive on. Will the driftwood make the tank messy and do I get it at the pet supply store?

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
I'm not real familiar with a Rubber Pleco, but I know that most plecos will go crazy for a slice of zucchini. And many herbivorous plecos will mow through algae very quickly and then have no food at all, so you need to supplement their diet with something else.You'd be amazed at how much food a big common pleco can go through when they're hungry.

Anyway, most pet store will sell driftwood designed for aquarium use. Mopani and Malaysian driftwood are the most common. Some may leach tannins into your water for a while, but they're nothing to worry about, they just turn the tank water yellowish for a couple months. If you don't like the look of it, the tannins can easily be removed by carbon or Purigen.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Did you get it from a Petsmart? The person who told you that it doesn't need to be fed anything special is an idiot. Is its belly sunken in? If so, it may be too late. Feed it blanched zuccini slices and algae wafers.

Are you sure it's a rubber lip pleco? Rubber lips plecos are a blueish gray color with markings that kind of looks like armor plates on an armadillo. Its lips are also plump, hence the name. Rubber lip plecos stay pretty small but do like caves to hide in. No need for drift wood.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He does love his cave, and I bought him at Pet Quarters. I did get some wafers for him today and a zuccini to try for him. He is not so frantic today and seems to be hanging around sucking on the rocks. He does seem to be healthy and his belly looks fine. Maybe the guy in the fish dept was an idiot, because when I bought our molly the salesman was very helpful and gave us some tips. This guy didn't ask any questions about my tank at all. Now I am just concerned about the molly... see my other post. Thanks for all the help guys!!! Oh also can I cut the zuccini into slices blanch them and then freeze them? we dont usually eat it and I dont want it to go to waste.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
I think I have the same guy as you. Mine was called rubber lip pleco. I think other names are pit bull pleco.

They are nocturnal so don't expect to see them after the lights are out. Feed them at night. They are a little territorial, so it will chase other fish that will get in its cave. They are fantastic glass cleaner though. Any algae on you glass will be gone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts