The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to leave for the beach in a few days, and I am leaving my grandfather in charge of my tanks. Trying to keep it as simple as possible, I want to limit the amount of work he needs to do while I am away. I usually feed at night and dose excel in the morning, and I am wondering if it causes problems to dose excel at night. That would make it much easier to for my grand father, who would then only visit the house once a day. He couldn't feed and dose excel in the morning, because he usually leaves for work at about 8 AM (my lights turn on at 10 AM and off at 10 PM). Does dosing excel at night (before the lights turn off) cause problems?

Also, if you guys have any other tips for keeping fish alive and healthy while on vacation, they would be more than welcome:grin2:!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I went to Italy for 2 weeks. I had my dad feed everyother day. I skipped all ferts and dosing.

no issues, no water changes, no worries.

Reactions: Pattern8

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I went to Italy for 2 weeks. I had my dad feed everyother day. I skipped all ferts and dosing.

no issues, no water changes, no worries.
I agree feed a little every other day and add excel at each feeding or not at all.How long will you be gone and will you take me with you:smile2:

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
It won't cause any problems. It's better to dose in the morning since it only last for 24 hours maximum. Will you see a noticeable difference in a week or so of night dosing? No. In fact you probably wouldn't notice much difference if he only dosed fertilizers and no Excel.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys thanks for the great answers!
I agree feed a little every other day and add excel at each feeding or not at all.How long will you be gone and will you take me with you:smile2:
I will only be gone for a week.

Also, multiple of you said that they should be fed only every other day. I have lots of tiny nano fish (dwarf puffer, endler's, chili rasboras, etc.) which I have heard really should be fed even more than once a day (in the morning and at night). I only feed them once a day (slacker me :grin2:) and was planning on telling my grandfather to skip maybe one day. Wouldn't nano fish get hungry if more than one day during the week was skipped? My puffer looks skinny after only one day of not feeding...

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Hi Iwagumist,

The family and I went to Hawaii for 10 days. I had a friend come in and feed every other day (pre-made baggies with same amount of food I feed daily - fish diet program); cut the lights back to about 2/3 normal photoperiod; and no ferts. All fish and plants come through in great shape.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
A really simple solution is to change the light schedule, so they come on at 8:00am or earlier and go off 6 hours later. That will reduce the need for nutrients, and all should be well. Then your granddad can dose the Excel when he feeds the fish.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
How long are you going to be gone for? If it's a week or so, if just reduce the lighting schedule to 3-4 hours and do nothing. No feeding, no ferts, nothing and then resume like normal when you return. Everything should be just fine. Unless you have large fish in with micros or shrimp, then one might get snacked on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts