The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about making a dirt tank and I was wondering about a few things.
1st how long does a dirt substrate last
2nd I am concerned about moving plants around, when I pull my wisteria out of the gravel I have now the roots grab on to the all the rocks and I end up with a bundle of roots and gravel the size of my fist. I shake loose all the rocks prune and replant .I don’t pull the entire plant every time I prune things but it does happen .Can I just cut the stem at or below the gravel cap on a dirt substrate and let the roots decay naturally in the dirt and just replant? I have Malaysian trumpet snails so will they eat the decaying roots or will the rotting roots spoil the tank
3rd do I need to place an inch or two of gravel or sand around the perimeter of the entire tank or just where it exposed to light
Any info on this matter would be greatly appreciated

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
1- it depends, in a high tech tank it might lose its kick after a couple years, but for low tech people say that the fish waste can keep fueling the substrate
2- that cutting off the root thing can probably work, but try to take some time and really get a plan and stick with it so u dont disturb too much substrate.
3- thats just a matter a personal preference. I was lazy and didnt make any borders around the dirt, i just put one even cap.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.