The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am almost done-done cycling my 20 gallon.
I know certain fish are MORE prone to dying in newly established aquariums. I did some research and came to like the barb species. Tiger Barbs attack other fish sometimes even if they do not have long flowing tails. I hear that Black Ruby Barbs are not as aggressive. Would they be good for a community tank?
Also, are they considered "first fish" that are a little bit more tolerant with water parameters?
THANKS!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi aquariumrookie

Just saw your message. I have 9 black ruby barbs (4 females/5males). Great fish. Males turn into a brilliant dark black/ruby red when seeking the attention of females. Very active fish. Also very inquisitive, loves coming to inspect me when I come close to the tank. They do like the young leaves of some of my plants though, but I don't mind that much. Great community fish. I have them with some cherry barbs, and they don't bother each other. Had a Pakistani loach in the tank, but every now and then he irritated the barbs, so I removed him from their tank. I want to get a few odessa barbs and a siamese algae eater to add to my barb tank. Doing my research on them now. Seems like BR barbs will coexist peacefully with many species.

As for the water parameters. I added driftwood to naturally lower the pH level of the water. Temperature at 25-27 Celsius. Not sure about the hardness of my water, but can't be that high. I don't think the BR barbs will mind slight differences, but would wait out the cycling period. If it's going to be a community fish, then add a few more hardy fish first and see how they cope. If a species fish then I suggest wait it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.