The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am looking to get some angel fishs in my tank. I got 75 gallon long tank with 6 wild discus, 21 rummbies and 6 corys in it. How many angel can i put them in there? Do angel require 5 or 6 like discus do? What are pro and cons about keeping angels? And what type of angels should i look for and where can i get them for a good quality with resonable pricing.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I'm not sure about discus and angels together someone else will have to answer, the other fish definitely wont be an issue.

Angels do not require 5-6 like discus, so less is ok. I have a pair in one of my tanks.

I got my angels at a fish swap meet, great price, local breeder, and high quality specimens.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Angelfish could eat rummies when they get large enough, and I have seen Discus eat cardinals as well.
Both the Angelfish and Discus enjoy warm water, but Angelfish are liable to hog all the food at feeding time unless you can feed from both ends of the tank.
A mated pair of Angelfish may get along well, but most keep these fish in groups to avoid bullying ,Same as Discus.

·
Registered
803 Posts
What temperature is the tank kept at? If it's in the 85-88°F neighborhood for the discus, the angels will be VERY active (mine are already very active at 74-75°F), and like roadmaster said, the angels may keep the discus from eating properly.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Thanks for reply guys. I kept my wild at 85 and yes the feeding kind of concern me a bit. But i still wanna give them a shot since they are affortable.
Only thing that bothers me is that discus aren't affordable, and if they're the ones being tormented, I wouldn't even take the chance.
exactly.

people are telling you that the angels may prove bothersome to the discus. this makes the angels potential cost to be that of a discus. So weigh that and decide whether or not your discus are affordable and you're willing to replace one's that die

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
As adults healthy Angels (even super veils) will out compete your discus on all points.
In your posted 75g tank size I would not advice grouping these fish without plans in place for a larger tank within the year.

My target stocking level is 4 adults in either 55 or 75g tanks without discus.

edit; just realized your posted size was 75L (72x18x13) forget SV's as you'll have ongoing fin issues with them dragging anyway.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Angelfish could eat rummies when they get large enough, and I have seen Discus eat cardinals as well.
Both the Angelfish and Discus enjoy warm water, but Angelfish are liable to hog all the food at feeding time unless you can feed from both ends of the tank.
A mated pair of Angelfish may get along well, but most keep these fish in groups to avoid bullying ,Same as Discus.
Rummies are a good sized terra I don't think angels could eat them.

·
Registered
329 Posts
There can also be problems with angels transferring parasites to discus, but of course that shouldn't be an issue with proper quarantining and whatnot. I don't imagine the food competition would be such a biggie if you have a large number of discus with only a pair of angels - they can't eat that fast - but I'm not sure if you have enough tank space to do that.

If you must keep angels, your best bet is to grow out a number of small guys, wait until a pair forms, and give the rest back to your LFS. Generally angelfish are less aggressive with either a mated pair, or at least six. Any number in between, in my experience, can get pretty interesting. Not always the case, of course, but as a general rule.

The short answer, however, is NO. Your tank isn't big enough. Discus are big fish, and angels really do grow huge eventually.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.