The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a picture of my current setup
2011-09-01 13.03.27.jpg
I have beening thinking I want to change it up a little. I am not sure as to how yet but it won't be nothing major. I am thinking of maybe adding some more plants and/or maybe taking some out. I am looking for some suggestions on what would you do? Two plants I was thinking of adding was some pennywort and maybe some type of moss. The pennywort I was going to use as a floating plant as I heard it does great that way. The moss I was thinking of maybe using it on the driftwood on the right side of the tank or maybe the center piece?

2nd question is I have some jungle val that is turning yellowish. I was wondering if this was a nutreint deficiency? I have atleast one plant during that in every group of them. I have three groups as you can see if the pic of the tank at top here are some close ups of the yellowish plants
2011-09-01 13.05.47.jpg
2011-09-01 13.08.36.jpg
2011-09-01 13.08.55.jpg
Up to this point they were doing fine with just adding flourish comprehensive once a week. Any thoughts on what this might be?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Check your N....might need to bump that up a little. Vals just need Decent light (think you got that covered) and LOVE N.

I would suggest tieing some Java moss to the DW you have, or any other moss you can get your hands on.
I would personally remove one corner of Swords.

BTW it looks good!!!!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
If it's just the upper part of the jungle val leaves then it might be normal. Under high light the upper part of the leaves tend to turn yellow/orange/red, so it could be that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it's just the upper part of the jungle val leaves then it might be normal. Under high light the upper part of the leaves tend to turn yellow/orange/red, so it could be that.
Yes, Its just the upper half of them. I have noticed a little in the past but not as much as I do now. I did have some shade plants before though. So that make some since as they are going much more light now.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Check your N....might need to bump that up a little. Vals just need Decent light (think you got that covered) and LOVE N.

I would suggest tieing some Java moss to the DW you have, or any other moss you can get your hands on.
I would personally remove one corner of Swords.

BTW it looks good!!!!
I would add that if nitrates are still high, something is affecting uptake of nutrients. Someone else here could recommend which ones.
From my experience with terrestial plants yelllowish leaves signify lack of magnesium.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would add that if nitrates are high something then something is affecting uptake of nutrients. Someone else here could recommend which ones.
From my experience with terrestial plants yelllowish leaves signify lack of magnesium.

Okay you are going to have to go into a little more detail for me other then nitrates are high something then somthing is affecting uptake of nutrients? LoL sorry That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I am still learning this plant world so more detail is better for me.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
LoL sorry That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I am still learning this plant world so more detail is better for me.
Plants EAT up Nitrates

I think he ment " would add that if nitrates are (high) LOW something then something is affecting uptake of nutrients.

IF you N is low that means either plants are EATING up very fast (there's only a few that do this) but looking at the Amazon anf the other corner I can see where N might have to be supplimented.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Your tank looks great but I think there's too much vertical height in it. It all looks like columns of plants..a bit too much for my taste.

My opinion, keep one side of tank with tall plants and perhaps have a carpet or dense low growth on the other side - perhaps add a nice piece of driftwood on that end as well. This will also help visualize the fish better - I'd imagine in the current set up its hard to see any fish free-swimming in open water (which is always nice to see).

Aesthetically speaking, in tanks that are longer than they are taller, too much height is not aesthetically pleasing - looks like plants are crammed in there. Vertical height is great for the back or one corner or even on one side but perhaps not for the entire tank. Conversely, for tanks that are taller than they are longer, you want to add more vertical height. Low growth here is acceptable but too much and its not as aesthetically pleasing with all the bare column of water.

Just my 2 cents! Good luck!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My opinion, keep one side of tank with tall plants and perhaps have a carpet or dense low growth on the other side - perhaps add a nice piece of driftwood on that end as well. This will also help visualize the fish better - I'd imagine in the current set up its hard to see any fish free-swimming in open water (which is always nice to see).

Thanks for you imput Astrosag. I have/did think about that. I had some pygmy sword (I think was the name of it?) It never did well just took it as I didn't have enough light for carpeting plants. As for seeing the fish. All the tall plants are actually in the back of the tank. I know from the picture it doesn't look like there is much room for the fish to swim or even to see them but the whole front of the tank is open. It does have some swords but most of them shouldn't get much bigger then they are now with the expection of the left corner and those are not permanent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts