The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have seen so many times on this forum of people that ask for help with a problem they have with their shrimp. Many times there is not near enough information for people to help. I am making this in hopes that people that are having a problem with their shrimp could fill out as much information as possible as it will help the experts find a possible solution. It will be a questionnaire that they should fill out as much as possible. They could then simply copy and paste the questionnaire here into their thread with as much information as they can.

1. Type of shrimp. Specific species if possible. About how many shrimp in tank?

2. How long have you had the shrimp? Where did you get them from? International Seller? Local Seller?

3. Other livestock living with the Shrimp. All of them. Any new additions since issue?

4. Size of tank.

5. How long has tank been setup and cycling for?

6. Water source. Using Tap? RO? Part tap part RO? Are you re-mineralizing the water and aging before putting in tank? How long before? Parameters/temp verified before water change? Any difference from the parameters in the tank compared to prepped water?

7. Water parameters:
a. Temperature
b. PH/GH/KH/Nitrate/Phosphate/Ammonia/Nitrite
c. When is last time you verified all of the water parameters? Have the parameters changed lately since issue?

8. Substrate. Buffering? If so what kind. How old is the substrate

9. Plants? Dosing ferts? How much and how often. What kind?

10. Do you inject Co2, if so, est. PPM?

11. How long are lights on?

12. Type of Filtration? Is intake blocked enough to keep shrimp from getting sucked in?

13. How often do you do maintenance on filter/s? Do you clean with tank water?

14. Do you use water conditioner? What kind?

15. What do you feed your shrimp and how often?

16. Has anything changed since problem? If so what specifically changed? Has anything changed in the tanks external environment? For example: Did the roommate/ sig. other/parent, spray or apply pesticides, even in another room? Did you have house guests that vaped or smoked inside? Was any demolition work done in the house?

17. Are they acting strange? Racing around the tank? Hanging out at top? Just sitting there not moving much? When did the behavior change?

18. What is the issue? Please be specific as possible. How many is this happening to? How long has it been happening?

19. If they are dying how are they dying? Are they dying on their back? On their sides? Are they dying when molting? Are they disappearing?

20. If possible please include as clear picture as possible.

If there is any other things I should add let me know. Thanks and hoping this helps at least some.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Can probably go with #14. One thing that I can think of right off the top of my head>>>>Has anything changed in the tanks external environment? For example: Did the roommate/ sig. other/parent, spray or apply pesticides, even in another room? Did you have house guests that vaped or smoked inside? etc...
Can probably go with #9. Do you inject Co2, if so, est. PPM?
Can probably go with #17. Are they dying when molting?

Most important question of all. Were the shrimp left in the room where a TV was playing a Svengoolie marathon?

Reactions: clownplanted

·
Registered
493 Posts
@clownplanted-If the list gets too long or too technical, potential shrimp doctors may balk. I suspect those that really want to know the possible causes might stick with it all, but the rest of them, eh, we live in a world where directions are all pictures now. Sad, but true. If you could keep it to 15 or 20 items, with optional subsections. Maybe we need someone to produce a flow chart sorta like the plant issue thingy I know that we have all seen. Attention span is no longer so much a span as it is a culvert. You are doing a good thing here and I wholeheartedly support it. Shrimp specific information is kind of scarce out there. It is up to the "Shrimp" people to all get together and reach a generally acceptable consensus regarding issues, care, etc. HEY! Clownplanted's Shrimp Summit! Your in Nevada, we can gamble and get free drinks while we are there. I love it!

Reactions: Zoidburg

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Turningdizzy I totally agree with what you are saying with everything. In fact yesterday my original thought was to create some kind of flow chart but the problem is with the different needs of many species. In the end I would like to create a flow chart per species similar to how the plant def chart is. My second thought was to create some kind of answer of what it "should be" after each question but again too many variations. I also wanted a program to where they answer the question and it tells them what the answer should be with the questions like temp, water parameters, if shrimp died on its back, while molting what the probable cause was. Again too many species and variations to do right now. I figure that if they can even answer half of the questions that is a 90% better start than most threads start with. And will help keeping people asking the same questions over and over again. Also I feel that many times we just do not think about what could be going on and having the questions here will get them thinking and heck they may know what the issue is without even needing to start a thread but by simply reading the questions. For example the temperature they may realize its summer time and whaoh my house temp and tank temp have been really high, let me research what the temp should be and they find the answer on their own.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Well, flow charts are kinda fun, so with something like that, you would probably have a winner. Would require a lot of work and dedication. It would always be a work in progress. You can sign me up for beta testing.

Reactions: clownplanted

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, flow charts are kinda fun, so with something like that, you would probably have a winner. Would require a lot of work and dedication. It would always be a work in progress. You can sign me up for beta testing.

Sounds great. Actually think I will start putting something together. That is if time permits. The kids and work always seem to keep me very busy. Although am sure can find enough time. Just think it is needed and will be very helpful.

And btw thanks to yours and others input it made sticky
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts