The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to set up a new dutch style 75 gallon and am planning to avoid canisters all together this time.

I've decided to use the KollerCraft TOM RP3 overflow box.... I keep getting some conflicting advice on what size pump to use, as in gph.

I see some recommending to not exceed 600 gph, and then others using 1000+ gph pumps...

I know it all depends on head and return tube sizing, but I just wanted to ask anyone who is or has used one in the past...

What gph pump did you use with your TOM overflow?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I believe the flow rate of the pump that they use with it if you bought the whole thing and not just the overflow is rated for 700 gph

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can diy a pvc overflow and return that works the same way as the Tom's just need a venturi and check valve with some air hose. That way you can get the exact flow speed you want.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually am currently using the Tom set up even after sealing the sump I am burning through co2 5lb in about 1 week. Because of this I am going back to canisters. There is alot of out gassing at the drain.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
483 Posts
CO2 off gassing is going to be a problem with any sump and even worse in a wet/dry if you are using something like the full Toms RP3 filter.

As a possible correction it looks like the new rp3 comes with a pump rated for 925gph(although whether that's actual or a 0 head rating I can't say).

I use the full RP3 on my 29 gallon reef tank. I removed the bioballs from the drip section and just have reef rubble in the flooded portion. What I do notice about the overflow. It doesn't actually surface skim. The grate goes too far below the waterline for that so I found I needed powerheads/hob filters etc... to give me enough surface agitation to keep it free of film. The newer higher flow pump might make this not as much of an issue. I didn't find the flow terribly strong. Actually not a bad thing in and of itself but I wouldn't rely on it for the sole flow in a tank unless low flow was a goal for the setup.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah that's kind of disappointing to hear. I don't want to get involved with drilling for bulkheads really.... So I see an overflow as my only option.

I've seen all the DIY options for overflows and I'm just not interested in having that much stuff in the tank. I'd stick with canisters over that.

Been using canisters for 7 years now I guess and really wanting to try something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Use a CO2 reactor on the return line of the pump, problem solved, nothing in the tank including equipment and bubbles.

FYI...I'm a sump preacher myself..once you get it going and the kinks worked out you will never go back!

What kind of Reactor are you using on your return? Great info.

Rex Griggs? Or a istamist type?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Ah that's kind of disappointing to hear. I don't want to get involved with drilling for bulkheads really.... So I see an overflow as my only option.

I've seen all the DIY options for overflows and I'm just not interested in having that much stuff in the tank. I'd stick with canisters over that.

Been using canisters for 7 years now I guess and really wanting to try something new.

Your building a large tank. Quite frankly, your best option is to drill the tank. Yes, I know, it takes a lot of courage to do this, but you'll have a lot less problems long term.

If you really can't do that, I would recommend getting a Lifereef overflow. It's extremely well built, and doesn't require a connection to the siphon so the siphon can be purged of air. You can see lifereef here (offsite) - prefilter box, siphon box, overflow box, siphon overflow, Eurobrace, Euro-brace, Euro-tank Yes, they are a lot more expensive, but you have a far lower chance of having a flood due to an overflow failure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 90 gal. I bought off a friend, it came with a sump and overflow box. Researched like crazy about loosing siphon and overflow noise and decided I was going to go the the Tom RP3 overflow box. I set it up with a new Rio Plus 2500 pump in the sump which had about 4' of head. According to the chart listed for Rio pumps.... the GPH at 4' is 529. The overflow box could not keep up with the pump unless it was throttled down using a ball valve.

I switched out the overflow box back to the one I got with the tank which is like the Eshopps box like this one: https://www.amazon.com/OVERFLOW-BOX...g_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PKRVBZZ18Q9769TBC214

That overflow has done well with the output of the pump open fully. I like that it also has the sponge pre filter in the outlet which the Tom doesn't have. I haven't lost the siphon yet even when shutting off the pump.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts