The Planted Tank Forum banner

Question(s) re: Camallanus Worm aftermath

5603 13
Hello all,

I recently had a bout with Camallanus Worms. Luckily, I caught it quickly and was able to treat the tank with this product that kills the worms: http://subquaria.com/Levamisole-HCl-Powder

Despite the quick reaction, my angelfish appears to be having trouble passing the dead worms after one week. Can anyone advise on this?

Some background, I did the first dose of Levimasole HCl one week ago, and will do the second dose in another week (per the instructions), although some say to do it after the first week. To confirm, I did a 75% water change 24 hours after the treatment and was careful to hover over my sand with my siphon to try to suck up any remnant worm.

Anyway, the only fish that noticeably had Camallanus worms was my angelfish. The worms were visibly hanging out of his anal vent, which is disgusting by the way. After one day of treatment the worms were dead and... mostly gone. And what I mean by mostly gone is that it looks like he has the remnants of some dead and discolored worm coming out of his vent. He has eaten very little since this has all happened and at this point I'm worried that he's not passing the dead worms. I have read that as they decay inside him it will slowly kill him. So, my questions:

1 - will this in fact kill my fish if he doesn't pass the worms?
2 - is there a way I can help him pass the dead worms if he cannot naturally?

Thanks in advance for your advice, and sorry for the disgusting topic...
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,717 Posts
I have heard of adding Epsom salt to the water for constipation (usually Bettas and the fat body types of Goldfish). I would do this in a hospital tank, not treat your display tank. 1-3 tsp per 5 gallons. If your Angel is used to low GH I would start with 1 tsp/5 gallons. Next day add another, then the 3rd tsp the next day. If he is already in hard water then go ahead with 3 tsp/5 gal.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Put on some latex gloves and start pulling the worms with tweezers.

Put the fish on a wet towel and cover his head so he won't freak out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Damn... that sounds intense but I like how you think! I had considered doing this but wasn't sure if it would be too traumatic to be a real benefit...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Pulling out the worms WILL cause damage if they're still attached to the intestines, but if they're all dead, it should be ok.

I have a current infestation of these worms in my tank and I was wondering if it's okay to treat a planted tank with this medication, or will it kill plants? Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks, I think I'll have to treat my whole 55 gallon, as probably all the fish are affected. I only saw it on the angels at first, but now its starting to be visible on my gouramis too. Can't see anything on cardinal and green fire tetras. The platies are starting to scrape against gravel, though no worms are visible, I think this is a possible symptom?

Everyone is a voracious eater and the angels were breeding until recently...but now it seems like they're staring to eat less, so I really need to get this medication in quickly. I already run the filter w/o carbon, I just need to pick up the Levamisole on my next visit to the closest LFS which is 90 minutes away.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had a bout with this a little while back, and to be safe I treated both my bare-bottom goldfish tank and my planted community tank, even though the only visible signs were in the community tank.

It was not pleasant for any snails, that is for sure. I lost 1 assassin snail and the another just lied there on his back with his foot sticking out for a few days before finally going back to normal.

I don't recall losing any fish other than the 1 molly that very visibly had the worms. I have oto's, neons, tiger barbs, red eyes, and blood fins that were all exposed for what its worth.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ok, so I finally made it to the LFS, and unfortunately they can't any Levamisole because it is apparently used as a cutting agent by cocaine dealers, and so its all being bought out.

I am able to order it from a veterinarian in town...its called LevaMED which is 90% levamisole hcl and 10% is filler, but I don't know what it is. Anybody have experience with this med? I could also order 100% Levamisole HCl powder online. However I can get 52 grams of the LevaMED from my vet for the same price as 10 grams of Levamisole online. Anyone have any input on this? I'm pretty sure the LevaMED is fish safe, but would like to hear from someone who's actually used it.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Contact Charles Harrison for the best quality levamisole HCI and instruction or help.
Search "Charles Harrison levamisole".
He ships quickly and is very knowledgable.He is in St Louis.
Going back farther in post;
NEVER pull the dead worms out!
They have hooks that are in the intestine of the fish and usually doing so will kill the fish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.