The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Might be a dumb question, but here we go!

I've been using a drop counter for my pressurized CO2 system but recently upgraded to a Apex Controller and set up the pH probe today to try this method instead.

It looks like my pH in the tank is 6.3 before any CO2 is added and I have a kH of 2.

According to the table I'm already at 30.1ppm of CO2 without even adding any to the tank so this has me a bit confused!

Maybe I'm reading the table wrong or I mis-understand its use.

I went ahead and set the controller to keep my pH at 6.1-6.2 but after a full day, my plants are no longer pearling like they use to and my drop checker is still blue.

Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Can't really say why the tables are sometimes so far off but I do read about it lots of times. Maybe approach from a different way?
I started CO2 with the main concern on my fish. Kind of deal where if the plants made it fine but the fish came first. I also have a controller so I started with testing my PH and then very slowly worked my controller down over a few weeks. At some point, my fish began to act funny and I moved the PH up just a bit. In my case, it turned out to be almost an even 1.0 down from my normal PH (7.8 & 6.8) Just for a bit of slack, I now run 7.0 and fish and plants seem happy. I run African cichlids and was not really expecting to get that low for them to be happy but they keep on breeding!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.