5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 75 gallon planted aquarium with
Guppies (10 males & only 1 female)
Platy (3 females)
Molly (1 female & 1 male)
Tetras (2 silvertip & 5 phantom)

My question is about the male:female ratio of the guppies, should I calculate the platies and mollies as females to them? I see them mate with them.

I want to get more female guppies but I'm worried the tank will get too crowded.
I can't find a good supplier where I live, everytime I get females they come in sick and die or have ich or fin rot. I don't have a hospital tank at the moment, and I already treated the tank too much.

What do you recommend I do?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
unless you want a crowd of babies, stay with one gender.
I only started up at the end of November, and I am well on my way to caring for 200 fish and 10 tanks.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Guppies can be a roll of the dice when it comes to eating their young. I have three distinct strains that just don't bother them. A couple that seem somewhat interested and one that won't let a single fry drop exist for more than a minute. But should you end up with guppies that aren't that interested in eating their young, the platies and mollies would take up the slack in my opinion. Surely some will survive, but as josephla stated, you've got lots of available bioload capacity to give. If you can properly quarantine a few female guppies, I don't see any reason not to give it a try.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I currently have five female guppies,one male Cobra,and five female swordtail's.(80 gal)
Guppies drop fry every four week's without fail , and some are eaten by the female guppies, and or the swordtails ,but still have approx. four or five dozen tiny fry that hide amongst the plant's till food hit's the water.
I also have a couple dozen neon tetra's in the tank with five Corydoras,one Farlowella,Six Whitecloud minnows,and a few amano shrimp.
When population get's too large, I will introduce the guppies to green terror/Raphael tank as food supplement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the platies/ or the mollies had fry few weeks ago, cause I see one tiny orange one hiding in the plants.

So they seem to be doing a great job eating the fry. I guess I could get more females, but how many?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Yep, its either all or nothing. I keep my sexes apart, but that is only because I actively breed them, and don't need any accidental impregnations.
Yes, they do keep some old sperm, but most of the litter takes after the last spawning partner. My fishes keep the same partner, s I know what I have 4 months down the line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.