The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just received my first CO2 system from an eBay vendor and I had a quick question about the equipment itself. I got the Milwaukee MA957 Regulator and Milwaukee SMS122 pH Controller. The first thing I noticed was that with the regulator, the left pressure gauge was badly bent internally so I have no idea how that passed inspection... just my luck. That obviously has to go back, but here's my question. The product was described as brand new but the pH probe had unknown white crust all over it. It tasted like salt and I was wondering if this is how they package pH probes or if they gave me a used/refurbished CO2 system? I attached a picture of what the pH probe looked like straight out of the box. The company I bought it from has like a 99% positive feedback but since it was pretty expensive I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask you all.

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,971 Posts
The bent needle inside the gauge is a pretty common thing. What happened is that the person opened the CO2 tank valve without first unscrewing the regulator pressure knob. This causes a sudden increase in pressure, and the needle will spin all the way around and then get bent.

As for the pH probe, if the probe was not brand new, I don't know whether it will work or not. pH probes must be kept submerged and wet at all times (not in water!).

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Ok, first off, coming from a chemist, never taste unknown substances...seriously, never ever.

That being said, the crust could be seepage from the storage solution. pH probes are typically stored in a saline solution, so if it oozed out of the protective cover, that could be the remaining salt.

Since the solids are deposited on the probe housing and on the protective cover, that's not from use. The protective cover is removed for use, so no solids would be on it.

Almost definitely it's residue from the storage solution.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks, then the crust on the pH controller is probably nothing to worry about. Although it does seem dry so that might not be good...

Also, the left pressure gauge on the regulator was bent internally, but not the needle. I attached a picture, that's how it was directly out of the box. It looks like they didn't push the faceplate in all the way when assembling it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,971 Posts
Ech, that gauge is a goner. As Orlando suggested, try giving Milwaukee customer support a call to see if they can assist you further.

Ok, first off, coming from a chemist, never taste unknown substances...seriously, never ever.
But how else would you know that sulfuric acid tastes really sour?

In all seriousness though, you shouldn't taste unknown substances.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
New pH probes are usually stored in KCl which is a salt.

You can purchase a salt substitute at the grocery that is called 'No Salt' which is potassium chloride (KCl).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Some of the new probes DO come with a salt like substance on the pH probe.
However, I just bought a new one that didn't have it.
They have to be calibrated.
Charles

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay thanks. The other week I contacted Milwaukee and they replied back within 15 minutes and told me to send them the regulator and they'd replace the whole thing.

Before I sent back the regulator I tested my pH controller to make sure it worked, but I noticed the screen was very hard to read. So I sent that back too. I just got the new pH controller in the mail yesterday and noticed the screen is just as hard, if not harder, to read. It was already calibrated so I was wondering if they sent me the same one by mistake. For anyone with a SMS122 pH controller, do you know if this screen looks familiar:

I can't for the life of me read that from any angle, but it should be saying about 6.6. Sometimes at different pH values, if I look at it at just the right angle I can make out what it is saying, but for the most part all of the digits stay at least partially lit up. Is there some sort of setting or reset button to clear this up? If I push my finger on the LED glass it becomes crystal clear. I would find it hard to believe that it was the same defect on two different pH controllers, so it must be something I am doing wrong. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts