The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a new tank I'm setting up, I decided to apply the moss the way I've seen Takashi Amano do it. I cut the moss up into little tiny pieces, and then smeared it onto some damp driftwood (it had been soaking for months).

I put the driftwood in a tank, sorta dry start method style. Put water in up to just the top of the substrate, put the wood on top of the substrate, and put plastic wrap across the top to keep the humidity up. I play to spray it twice a day.

So my question is, how long do I need to treat the wood like this, before the moss attaches to the wood and I can emerse the wood without all the moss coming off?

I've seen several people talk about doing it this way, and maybe my google fu is bad, but I couldn't find anyone who addressed how long it takes for the moss to grab hold.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Depends on how long you want to dry start. I'm doing the same thing as you but with fissidens. Currently I'm on my 7th week for the dry start. The fissidens has converted to emergent growth and has fully attached to the driftwood. I think the moss took about 3-4 weeks to fully attach. My tank is in my sig (5.5 gallon grass) if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
i just did this in one of my tanks with mini fiss. i did the DSM for 2 weeks and it held on just fine when i flooded the tank. Of all the mini fiss that smeared on the rocks, only one TINY little patch can loose. Literally it was the size of your pinky nail. IF that big.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts