The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my hand on a 18-24" Current USA freshwater LED plus fixture.

it's for my 20g (24" long x 16" high)

Current USA claims this fixture gives 35+ PAR at substrate (12"). My substrate is at 15" from the fixture, am I correct to assume this is gonna bring my in the low-moderate light range?

I am very pleased by the overall look of my tank with lights on (upgraded from a dual t8 6500k with no reflector), however I want to make sure I don't end up with too much (or to little) light compared to what I had before.

Also, for some reason, the fixture doesn't seem to work with my wall timer... When reaching "on time" on the timer, the lights flashes then stays off... Any heads up on that? I was under the impression this should be working...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased the same light. I have a 20 gallon high. I think the light output will actually be less, at least for optimal plant growth.

I am pretty new at all of this, but this is what I gather from what I've read. I bought the light because our aquarium is placed under a large picture in the living room, and I needed a low profile light.

Also, I think that it does not work on the timer because of the remote. It may reset to the default, which is probably "off." This is a guess, but I was gonna get a timer also, but was unsure if it would work.

Hope it works out for you. Its a nice light, but I've only had it for 2 weeks, and I can't really tell yet if its helping the plants the way I'd hoped it would. Time will tell.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
I have several of these lights on multiple tanks. My subjective feeling is that a single over a 24x14" (17gl) is low light and 2 are getting the light into low-medium territory.

3 of these lights are on (mechanical) wall timers (others are on Ramp timers) and they work just fine. Maybe try a desk lamp or such in your timer and see if it actually works.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
I personally do not know but there is a ton of light comparison data in the stickies under Lighting section of this forum. The answer to your question is there, if you dig a bit :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
I can tell you from personal experience that this is low light on a 10 Gallon. It's low enough that I'm ordering a Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 today for my shrimp tank and intend on returning the Current USA to Petco.

I got mine on same for $69 at Petco. I will be ordering the Finnex from foster and Smith for $67......

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.