The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone :)

1. It seems some people connect reactors to either the inlet or the outlet of the canister. 1 problem I've read when connecting to the inlet is that the reactor will get dirty which is true. But how about connecting to the outlet?

2. Has anyone built Rex Grigg's reactor? It seems the standard design is to connect it to the inlet of the canister?

thank you very much :)

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I think most people connect theirs to the outlet, which is where mine is and as you mentioned it will get dirty quickly on the input side. Rex's design is basically the same as most everyone else's. You'll have some variation based on available materials, size constraints etc.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Keep the reactor chamber empty when building it and install it on the discharge side of the filter is the primary opinion on how to do it. I have three installed and like the results.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I think it makes more sense to put it on the output side so you don't blow bubbles into your canister filter (not detrimental, but noisy if they hit the impeller)

The basic design is the same for any "reactor" (there is no reaction, just diffusion)

Water flows downwards as the CO2 bubble floats upward. By using large diameter tubing (1.5" might work for a small canister, but 2" will work better), the velocity of water is reduced enough to avoid pushing the CO2 out before it dissolves.

I built my first reactor following the Rex Grigg design exactly. I couldn't find the right fittings in 2" so I used 1.5". The flow from my canister (fluval 404) is too much, so bubbles get blown into the aquarium.
So I built a new one, but instead of using the reducing T with threaded side port I used an elbow and a threaded bushing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think most people connect theirs to the outlet, which is where mine is and as you mentioned it will get dirty quickly on the input side. Rex's design is basically the same as most everyone else's. You'll have some variation based on available materials, size constraints etc.
Looking at Rex Grigg's website(reactor photo), the water comes in at the top and exits at the bottom?

--------------

When mounting the reactor, is there a certain height (measured from the ground) that I must observe?

thanks everyone :)
http://www.rexgrigg.com/images/diy/diy6.jpg

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Looking at Rex Grigg's website(reactor photo), the water comes in at the top and exits at the bottom?

--------------

When mounting the reactor, is there a certain height (measured from the ground) that I must observe?

thanks everyone :)
http://www.rexgrigg.com/images/diy/diy6.jpg
Yes, water goes in at the top and out at the bottom. If you mean the reactor needs to be mounted a certain height off the ground, the answer is no. Just place it where's it's best for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.