The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what it seems to be a male and female 'blue' borellii in my 10gal tank. i also have 4 amanos and 1 oto. The male is i guess you would call it pretty teritorial. The male chases the female around the tank but doesnt seem like he ever gets too serious as to bite her. She ussually stays in the corner but sometimes ventures out. Sometimes they are even close and happy but then the male chases her around. The male doesnt even pay any attention to the shrimp or oto. Both borelli are eating; dead plant matter, picking at algae, some flakes, and the algae disk.

My question is that is it normal for the male to chase the female around? Should the ratio be better at 2 female to 1 male?

If i got a pair of Apistogramma elizabethe with they fight with the borellii?

Any sujestions?

Thanks, Cheers,
Snazzy

·
Registered
284 Posts
As for adding another borelli...ABSOLUTELY

Apistos are harem breeders so you'll want more than one female. If you have the room, let him hang with the 2 females and see who he favors and move them to a spawning tank if you are serious about raising fry. If you want to let nature take its course in your tank,then yes, get another female borelli and let them hang in the same tank. If conditions are right, they should spawn. The other female will act as a an extra "push" if you will for this. The two females will fight for his attention and it will prompt at least one if not both of the females to want to breed with him in a competitive sort of way.

As for the fighting, we all know cichlid love is tough and chasing is part of it. However, are you noticing any tail slapping? He should tail slap her while displaying himself and if she is interested, she'll tail slap him back. She'll get a very dark vertical line and turn a bright yellowish color when she is in spawning condition.

IME, when the fish are too young, they will rip each other up when put together. I have had interested females and just disinterested males and this resulted in female deaths. When this male aged a good 6 months and he was put in with females again (reluctantly on my part) he did very well and was very interested in breeding. He was much gentler with the females as well.

They are also cave spawners so you will need to provide a flowerpot or a piece of slate angled against a piece of driftwood or something if you are breeding them or just to make them comfortable at the very least. Provide her with a retreat. upturned clay flowerpots work best for this as my males can't fit through the hole in the top while the female can.

As for getting other apistos for a 10 gallon, I wouldn't. Stick with just the borellis and add another borelli female :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i lied :angel: its really the female chasing the male into the corner. they are pretty young though. i got another female also.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IM SO CONFUSED :confused: the mean fish i have i thought was a male who was told to be a female i think is a male :confused:

i add my new female (i think) into aquarium by putting him 1st in the specimen cup(u know the ones they bag fish in) to aclimate her. now is where the odd part happens. as you said above they will slap their tail. the mean guy i think female greys out and slaps the container where they new female is in. the new female is pretty stessed out from the ride home so she isnt really paying any attention

what do you think?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
now to add to the confusion...if they are both slapping each other and they both turn yellow that means they want to mate right?

do i need to add a upside down pot for them to lay eggs o_O

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mabe this will help. i cant really get a good pic of them but this is the mean one im talking about i think is a female?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts