The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another thread open explaining how I recently converted a Saltwater to Freshwater tank. I now have 50/50 mix of Flourite and Gravel, 1 Major piece of drift wood, 1 smaller piece of drift wood, and another smaller piece of driftwood from an established tank.

I know I may add a single fish to expedite the cycle, or use the fishless cycle technique, but what about plants?

When should I introduce them...after the cycle completes, or do they help the cycle?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
237 Posts
newbie here
but from what i have read and seen
plants can be added before you even add water
and another posted that they do help with cycling

i can't vouch for this myself just stating what i have read

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
It is best to plant the tank before fish are added. Plant densely and use fast growing plants as well as your permanent ones. You can plant before water is added even. Add fertilizer and CO2 if you are using it. Plants come with a lot of nitrogen cycle bacteria already on them and even if you try to keep things pristine there is going to be a little dead stuff in the tank to feed those bacteria.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is best to plant the tank before fish are added. Plant densely and use fast growing plants as well as your permanent ones. You can plant before water is added even. Add fertilizer and CO2 if you are using it. Plants come with a lot of nitrogen cycle bacteria already on them and even if you try to keep things pristine there is going to be a little dead stuff in the tank to feed those bacteria.
Thanks for the advice - being it is a 30 Gallon tank, I am opting against CO2 devices and management...I got out of Saltwater because of those kinds of things. It seems as if people are dead set for it, but others indicate it is not necessary to micro-manage it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.