The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new (to me) truck:

My new baby ;). 1989 Chevy K1500. Extended cab AND a full size bed :bounce: ! I'm sure it was probably a contractor's truck in its past life, and as a result of this the bed is very scratched up and gouged. The color's not very good in that pic, I had to tone it down as I kept blowing the highlights. It's really a burgundy color.

Has anyone had any experience with spray-in bedliners? I've been looking at Line-X which is a national company I believe but I'm sure it's horribly expensive. But it may be worth it. I'm either going to have to do that, get a regular bed liner, or touch up the spots. We're talking a LOT of spots, and I just don't have time to do that right now.

Just thought I'd run this past y'all (but mostly I wanted to show off my "new to me" truck ;)!)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
You could try one of the cheap DIY roll on liners. If you wait long enough you won't mind the scratches and dents in the bed.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen those. Not terribly impressed. We're going to try to bring this truck up to snuff and keep it for a very long time. I really don't mind putting the money into stuff like a spray-on bed liner IF it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Congrats, Cindy, great-looking truck! I've never had spray-on bedliners, just the regular kind that come installed when you buy the truck, but I've used the DIY rollout kind once. It was years ago and they may be better now, but that darn thing would get to flapping around in a high wind and drove me nuts. It never came out, just flapped around. I have horses, and my trucks always got hard use, and without bedliners, they got scratched and banged up pretty good--it never bothered me, as I figured the next load of hay or mulch or whatever would scratch it up some more! So it depends on how much of a workhorse you want your truck to be.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Nikki! My trucks get moderate use, I've hauled everything from hay (I used to have horses, too,) to gravel, concrete blocks, you name it. I always put a tarp in the bed of "Orange Julius" (seen in the background of that pic) if I was expecting to haul anything that would really tear up the bed. Hubby just e-mailed the spray bed liner folks, and they very quickly responded. Looks like about $500 give or take depending on a couple of options (rails covered or not, or if it needs sandblasting.) I thought that was very reasonable, and much less expensive that I thought it would be, so we'll probably go with that. It's not a new truck of course, but the interior is in amazingly good shape. It's got a couple of small barely noticeable dents in the body, and also will need a paint job as the paint is nicked up on one side where it looks like it went through a spray of gravel. I think we can trick it out really nicely. Wasn't really looking for a 4x4, but Sunny is tickled with it as he says he can change the oil in it without having to put it up on jackstands .

Parking is going to be a bit of a challenge for a while ;).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Congrats on the new truck!

Spray on bed liner is a good investment. Stay away from the roll-on liners, it's just a waste of money.

There are hot and cold applications and different thicknesses. Some are also more pliable than others, so they will deform with the metal if hit hard instead of chipping or flaking off. There are so many different liners nowadays. You should go to a local specialty truck shop and ask the guys there what they recommend for what you are looking to spend. Unless you are doing some heavy duty hauling, 90% of the choices will be fine. It'll probably come down to cost and how long the business has been doing spray in liners.

I'd imagine that, like most body/paint work, the prep is really important, esp if your bed already shows some wear and tear. That's something else you should ask about while shopping around.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
My uncle has a spray bedliner. He says he is very happy with it. It also looks very nice. I recall him saying he spent about $500 on it.

·
Plant Lover
296 Posts
We've got a Toyota truck that takes a pretty hard beating (can you say over 40 loads of firewood this year alone?). We put in one of the heavy molded plastic liners that came from Toyota, and have never regretted it one bit. Don't know about the other after market ones. Course I also am glad the liner stands up to an ice pick when I break out accumulated ice to carry my paintings. I have to beat on it pretty hard.

Nice looking truck, btw. Congrats!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Can't help with the spray-on liner but the truck you got is nice. My dad has a 1990 2500 and that thing has taken a beating. Worst problem was a blown radiator, a quick fix really. It's mainly a wood/stone hauling truck.

We're actually thinking about getting a spray-on liner for it this coming fall. A 50lb log cracked the current liner. :(

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. This is actually the nicest, despite the little dings and scratches, etc., vehicle we've ever had. OTOH, we've never had a car payment either ;).

·
Algae Eater
3,182 Posts
I have a Line-X on my truck and love it! Rugged and better then a drop in liner. Price varies per area, they are a franchise so the business can charge whatever they want, call around, mine was over the bed rails on a 6ft bed and was around 500. I dont haul a lot with my truck, wood, furniture, some block, its held up very well. Another nice thing about the plastic vs spray on is that things tend to slide less with the spray on, it has a little bit of grip to it and it seals the surface to prevent rust. A plastic liner will do more damage then good, I have helped friends replace there plastic ones after they have cracked and the bed is very scratched and rusted underneath. Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Nice. definitly go with line-x over the other brands. rhino lining is crap compaired to it. plus there have been issues with the rhino installers doing no prep work to the truck and the liner flaking off.

i have the duplicolor spray on liner in the bed and on the rockers of my trail truck. it holds up well on the rockers but in the bed its getting alittle torn up. however, they do make a roll on version of it and it holds up much better. we lined the tube of my buddies jeep with it.

Plastic liners SUCK. i tore the one out of my trail truck, and i need to tear it out of my current truck. they hold water and crap under it which rusts the bed out. im prolley going to get it line-x'ed though. i need to convince my mom to do the same with her truck

thats a nice color, our old tahoe was that color. it has a nice shine to it in the sun. i wish we could have kept that truck but we needed something to pull our trailer with more ease...so we upgraded. ;)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I bought spray in liner, but not for my truck, for my giant water feature~ I think if it works for these giant metal troughs and makes them waterproof, it should work well in a truck~

·
Registered
803 Posts
Nice truck! Congrats!

I agree with those who said "spray-on yes, hard plastic no". I've had both and while the hard plastic IS good for hauling things like rock and wood, that's about all they're really better for. They can really take a helluva beating, but, as has been said, they do trap detritus that in turn traps moisture that ends up rusting your bed. Plus, things really slide around on them, especially paint cans (Ooof!).

I've got a spray on liner in my one-ton and I LOVE it! Wouldn't trade it for the world. I wish I could tell you what brand it is, but the truck came with it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
We have a spray in bed liner for our truck and it can take a beating. It is the best. Do your research though some are better than others. Like mentioned before go to a speciality shop and ask there. It takes a couple of days for it to be done properly but its well worth it believe me. The plastic liners just warp and allow moisture to collect underneath and then develop rust; ive seen it. But yea spray liners all the way.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the nice comments, guys :D. Yep. I think I've definitely decided to go with the Line-X. I found a nice looooooong thread at a site called fullsizechevy.com which sold me on it. Like anything else like this though, the end product very much depends on the skill of application. There is one dealer within 5 miles of us (the one e-mailed) which we're going to try to set up an appointment to see some of their work, and get a firm idea of the end cost. There's another dealer about 30 miles away, and a couple more within a hundred miles. I'll try to take some before and after pictures to add to the thread if I'm reasonably satisfied with the end product.

Oh, that thread I mentioned had a contributor by the handle of "TruckDaddy" who is apparently a Line-X dealer in Texas. Of course you need to always take such things with a grain of salt, but I found his posts and accompanying photos very literate and enlightening, and quite convincing. Made me wish I was in Texas (or he was in Alabama) as I would definitely trust his shop to to do the job! He had a couple of pictures in the thread of vehicles that were completely covered in this stuff! One of them was an off-road jeep where I can clearly see the advantage.

At this point, depending, I'm thinking I might have the rocker panels done too.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
the rockers are a good investment in keeping it from getting real chipped up. You can also get line-x colored, so they might be able to color match the liner to your truck and will make it blend in. even if you do regular black, you cant tell its bedliner unless you get up close.

The rockers on my trail truck are bedlined, and besides the fact it isnt shinny you cant really tell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bed liner for your Truck

Hi Rose,

I'm with Rhino Linings and we have some new products to check out!

But really why I'm answering here is because no matter who's bedliner you choose to put in the back of your truck, make sure that they completely eliminate any rust or your truck will continue to rust underneath the bed liner. It's easy and likely the spraying dealer will do it for you as a courtesy if the rust is very light..and if you have quite a bit of rust you should coordinate with the spraying company to have your bed sand blasted, then sprayed immediately (to eliminate flash rust).

We now have 3 different kinds of bed liner products to choose from...it depends upon what you want to do with your truck. Check it out at www.rhinolinings.com

Christa:icon_lol:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey, Geoff. I like the look! I'm going to do a couple of photoshop mock-ups with black rocker panels to see if I'd like the look of the black next to the burgundy. I think "colors" runs a couple hundred extra so it may come down to dollars in the end. One thing about like I told Sunny, covering up all these bits with bedliner hopefully would cut the price of having it painted down since there wouldn't be quite so much square footage to cover. Although I dunno, maybe masking all that stuff off would offset it. We'll see.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Thanks for posting about "TruckDaddy", Cindy. I've been thinking that I'd like to have my ranch/work truck done, so I'll start my search for someone to do it with him. I'll check him out first though, of course ~ grain of salt and all. But thanks for sending me in a good direction to start. :icon_bigg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts