The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know a lot of you who ship only do express shipping. what happens if a customer can not get express? i found out monday i dont get express shipping. the closes sort facility is 50 miles away. would that rule me out from buying shrimp from you? what would you do in this instance? have you come across it before and how did you handle it? it turned out not to be a problem in my case and know a couple people who are willing to ship priority so im not to worried really. what happened in my cause right now is they opted for priority express i believe it was. same as standard priority but cost more cause its guaranteed by 3 pm tomorrow (shipped monday get by 3 on wed). i know it wont be a prob because mail runs at noon. i have never used express shipping for any livestock i have ordered so i know nothing about it. ive always used priority and know it will be fine but this is kinda more for infor and for others who might run into my situation

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I'm assuming he is asking, that a lot of people ship shrimp as express overnight mail only. And since he can't recieve express overnight mail because the closes facility is 50 miles away. So can he order shrimp from those who ship express, explain the situation and get priority mail?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm assuming he is asking, that a lot of people ship shrimp as express overnight mail only. And since he can't recieve express overnight mail because the closes facility is 50 miles away. So can he order shrimp from those who ship express, explain the situation and get priority mail?
basically that. what do you do if you run into some one who cant get express/overnight shipping?

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Ive never run into that, and the fact of the matter is, unless you are in the same zone for the usps it will take 2 days express anyway, same as priority to most places. Usps express is specifically not guaranteed next day anymore.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I've never heard of express not being offered. I shipped oebt express to no where North Dakota, no problem just cost like $50 from CT.
I ordered express from speedy on 2 separate occasions when i lived in CT. Both times they were to my door by noon the next day. They were brought by a single guy, not my normal mailman. I thought the whole point of express was that it was over night.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i guess i am out of express that is why i got express priority. it was guaranteed by 3 pm on 2 day priority. they tried to mail shrimp express but it was not offered. maybe because the main sort facility is 50 miles away? heck even the po's are closed to the public on saturdays here. not sure why but they could not guarantee it so they didnt offer it for over night/express.

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
it is still consider express, I have these issue to places too. They just dont guarantee next day it turns into a 2 day express. So they should have no issue with it. These are the same places it will take 3 days priority. Most of these places also dont get UPS or Fedex next day with out a extra added rural area service fee. I have sent shrimp to places in UP state NY, very outlandish swamps in FL where this was the case

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not a shipper, but a recent purchaser.

Shipping from Oregon to Anchorage, AK. Priority got here in three days, no DOA. Express got here in two days and no DOA.

Shipper used Purigen in the bag and everyone was happy.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i just go priority. it takes 2 days unless its comming from florida. for some reason it always takes a day longer when sending or receiving from florida. being in ky or ok i have ordered fish and shrimp and if mailed monday i still get it wed. same with sending.

i just kinda wondered what people do when some one does not have the option of overnight express? i dont see any reason to pay extra for 2 day express if it takes the same amount of time.

also as far as ups and fedex, i can get boxes from them but again they travel 50 miles to deliver to me. if i miss a box i have to travel to get it. had that one happen before and it sux. i can ship fedex from town because we have a ups store but cant receive packages that way

·
Registered
110 Posts
You should work things out with the shipper. Usps priority express takes 1-2 days depends on destination. And that's guarantee. Well, in my experience, they do miss guarantee occasionally for 1 days express. Some area, maybe like you said the sorting facility is far away, so they guarantee 2 days express. The different between a 2 days priority express and a priority mail is that one is guarantee, the other is not. Normally priority mail would be delivery in 2 days, some area 3 days. But they don't guarantee the time. It happens priority mail may take up to a week, and post office is not responsible for priority mail delay.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
"It happens priority mail may take up to a week, and post office is not responsible for priority mail delay. "

Last winter that happened several times. Looks as if the USPS is FINALLY getting back on track again now though.

I'd suggest you ask to see if priority mail DOA can be covered by the shipper- even if you have to pay a little extra. Sure beats having DOA arrive with no option of replacement.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
That's IF they'll honor live shipping. There seems to be confusion at different USPS places as to shipping live shrimp. I think wording may have changed in the USPS manual or something. :-/

·
Registered
635 Posts
I run into that a lot (well, used to. everyone I've bought from recently has shipped priority). Because my nearest sort facility is a major metro area (DFW), it slows down the process of getting things from the sort facility to their more outlying areas (me). End result, it doesn't matter where it's shipping from - have had stuff from Florida, OKC, and Colorado ship express and all took 2 days. Occasionally I'll have something surprise me and make it overnight, but it's rare. With the exception of a couple that got lost, Priority makes it in 2 days too, the only difference is it isn't guaranteed whereas Express is guaranteed to my zip in 2 days. It's not been an issue for any sellers I've dealt with that. As long as it shows up in the time-frame that Express says it will (2 days), the sellers have honored whatever guarantees they've had.

Should also add, the couple of shipments that got lost, my local PO was very much ready and willing to process the claims knowing full well they were live fish/shrimp. Thankfully, even after a week+ those shipments did show up. I had a shipment once though that was supposed to be "hold for pickup" and the carrier delivered it anyway and so it sat outside in 105+ degree July heat without my knowledge for a couple of hours until we figured out what happened. About half that shipment died, and they took care of that claim quickly and easily.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts