I was wondering if anyone on a well, that is storing their water for water changes, ever treats the water with bleach to make sure there is no bacteria in the water that could harm the fish? If so how much bleach?
If there's any bacteria in the water thats high enough to harm fish.. I sure as hell would never bathe or drink it. If thats the case you would a new well drilled if the source of contamination couldn't be found. With that being said, you shouldn't EVER have to add bleach to your water. Atleast I've never heard of it anyway.
Are you talking about a well just for irrigation? If that's the case, I wouldn't put that water in a fish tank- it's often groundwater, which can be contaminated with pesticides and all sort of nasty stuff.
If it's water that is treated for drinking, it's fine just as is.
I'm on a well, and I still do use Prime just in case, though.
I get my water from one of my wells. In my weekly change, about 30%, I use hose, both for draining and filling up the tank. I let run the hose for a few minutes before , just to be sure that water is not stagnating in the lines. On the end of the hose, I use water breaker. This way I'm sure that no fish or shrimp gets sucked up, and when filling up, the water is aerated by only partly immersing the braker. In order to drain water, I let water run in the tank to the point of evacuating air from the hose and then I shut off the valve, detach the hose and let the water run out of the tank.
I'm fairly sure that the water from this well is O.K., for I drunk it for some twelve years and somehow I survived....
By the way - I heard that some people drink water containing chlorine, fluorine and other carcinogens like chloramine and live to tell it!
I suspect that the same people take flu shots too, and shy away from Vit.C, for it could hurt them....
I shower and brush my teeth with well water run through a salt softener. I run it through RO/DI for drinking and aquariums, I never add dechlor of any sort. If I owned this house I would have a whole-house RO/DI system installed because I hate showering in well water.
The thing with a well is that they are all different. It all depends on where your water supply is coming from. I lived out in the wooded country for years and had no problems because there were no farms near by for miles upon miles. My only problem was liquid rock ( high mineral content) so that dictated what kinds of fish i could keep. If you live in a farming area the water might contain fertilizer and pesticides. If you are worried get a water filtering system for your fish. Or set up some "test" tanks to see if there are an effects on a couple of fish before you commit to anything.
I have lived in the house about 9 years now and have had fish tanks the entire time. The well is over 100 feet deep. I run a whole house filter and then I'm running an RO/DI unit just for the fish as the water chemistry fluctuates depending on the time of year. Was also wondering if you could plumb the waste water back into the well? Currently it goes into the septic system until I get a drain to the outside plumbed up.
You definitely don't want to put waste water into your well. 100 feet down you're past groundwater level. Big difference in water 100 feet down versus groundwater.
Few years back when we had all those hurricanes and flooding here in South Florida (that reminded us that we all really DO live in a swamp), we had to bleach our wells to clear out groundwater contamination. Many people had E. coli in their wells from groundwater backflow.
You DON'T want E. coli in your well water. And it's certainly in your septic tank, since it occurs naturally in the human excretory system.
Bizarre how something that occurs naturally in one part of the human body is deadly in others... but that's a different conversation and now I'm chasing rabbits. LOL
Sometimes we run the waste into the washer and wash our clothes in it. Actually, we haven't done that since we were on city water, the RO waste from city water isn't all that bad TDS-wise , and I have actually tasted it, not anything like I expected it to be, and you couldn't tell it was waste by looking at it. Haven't checked the well waste from RO yet.
Once I get the RO/DI unit moved to its new location I might setup a collection container for the waste water instead of it going into the septic. That way I can use it when I build my garden this spring.