The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there use a Fluval 404 in their planted tank? I just acquired one as part of a 125g setup on craigslist. I've got my hardscape set up and just filled the tank up with water today, to start cycling it.

One thing I'm noticing is that the filter outlet occasionally (like every few seconds), burps a fine mist of bubbles into the tank. No leaks in the canister assembly, so I'm wondering if this happens by design? Filter's run for a few hours now, so I'd think it would be done expelling any air trapped in it.

If this is the case, I might have to get a different filter, as this won't bode well for when I set up my pressurized CO2 and start planting... :icon_neut

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Anyone out there use a Fluval 404 in their planted tank? I just acquired one as part of a 125g setup on craigslist. I've got my hardscape set up and just filled the tank up with water today, to start cycling it.

One thing I'm noticing is that the filter outlet occasionally (like every few seconds), burps a fine mist of bubbles into the tank. No leaks in the canister assembly, so I'm wondering if this happens by design? Filter's run for a few hours now, so I'd think it would be done expelling any air trapped in it.

If this is the case, I might have to get a different filter, as this won't bode well for when I set up my pressurized CO2 and start planting... :icon_neut
It is burping, can last for days until all the air is out. Shake the cannister and pump the siphon to purge it. If it continues to make air you have an inlet leak....DC

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it's not leaking, I wouldn't worry about it.

Mine burps air for two reasons:
1) after cleanings (filter not filled to top); and
2) because of gas intake, CO2 & O2 - pearling & water changes.

If it bothers you, just slowly tilt the cannister and the air will purge out faster.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I ended up finding out where it was sucking air in. Like Diablo mentioned, it was in the suction line. Air was being sucked in at the union between the flexible suction tubing and the rigid tubing that holds the suction strainer.

What I ended up doing is push the tubing in farther and made sure that the union stays about 2" below the water line. No more burping, and the filter is much quieter now.

No need now to switch filters, and I can continue my grand scheme of planting, pressurized CO2, and ultimately; discus. :icon_mrgr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.