The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is something I don't understand, since the instruction for Aquasoil is to change up to 100% water for two days followed by 50% water change for several days, why just soak the materials for a few days and throw away the socking water before use?

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Or let the plants get a head start, slurping up all that ammonia.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never done the recommended water changes during the 'cycle' process. I only swap water when ammonia concentrations exceed 5-6PPM. And even then, it's usually only a partial change.
That's good to know. It just doesn't make sense. If it leaches out ammonia and other bad things just soak and wash several times before use, why do a 100 percent water change? It is a waste of time an money. Just trying to understand the logic behind this.

·
Super Moderator
15,896 Posts
There's no reason to rinse/wash it, as that will cause unnecessary breakdown. Try to be as gentle with Aquasoil as possible.

In some cases, you have to do large water changes because the ammonia levels are too high. Really depends upon the amount of substrate used in a tank and several other factors.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
There's no reason to rinse/wash it, as that will cause unnecessary breakdown. Try to be as gentle with Aquasoil as possible.

In some cases, you have to do large water changes because the ammonia levels are too high. Really depends upon the amount of substrate used in a tank and several other factors.
its tougher than most think.
i beat my soil to death with replanting and its still in its granular form

1 - 9 of 9 Posts